Over doing it

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

Is it feasible that you could over do an exercise regime and damage ones recovery.

What would be a recommended exercise 

Schedule.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Absolutly. Biggest mistake going is to overdo therapy. Sometime, somehow, the body has to have recovery time. I've been through 5 complete rehab and I've found 2 big concerns. One is to not work because it "hurts"(not talking about mind numbing pain) and the other is to think you are going to get a gold star for finishing first. Recovery is a process and you can't get there any other way. The adage, this is a marathon not a sprit, should be words to the wise. Listen to your body. When it says "I've had enough, stop", it means it. One other thing. You must be extremely well hydrated at all time because you can't work a dried out piece of meat (your body). Slow down, don't listen to the advice of friends and family because some on always knows someone who was trading for Olympic competition in 2 weeks post surgery. Having a reversal because of over doing makes healing harder and more difficult. Find the writing of the sage, Chico Marx. He was smart enough to get out of new jersey so he's wise enough to offer great advice on this forum. Good luck and enjoy your extra rest.

• Posted

good question.  I've heard pros and cons on that.

• Posted

My physical therapist told me just yesterday that he is more interested in the frequency I do my at home exercises and not in the intensity level.  So....I’m doing exercises every hour on the hour while I’m awake....pushing myself a bit more each time.
  • Posted

More...  I've had two shoulder impingement surgeries plus a hip replacement aside from the TKR.  What I found out is that your can literally push a shoulder or hip with little to no problem.  Rehabbed the shoulders in a matter of weeks instead of months.  For the hip, I was 10-days post op when I started at the gym and therapy pool 5 hours a day, six days a week.  Full rehab in six weeks total time.  Done.

Thought I could do the same with the knee...WRONG!!!!!!!  The knee is a completely different animal and will NOT be pushed no matter what we want inside our head.  That path only leads to lots of swelling and pain.  Tried it.  Five weeks post-op, did 8,200+ steps on my fit bit.  Had to deal with a "balloon knee" for three days.  Last time I ever made that mistake.

The key is slow and steady progress.  Chart your steps...a very big help.  If you overdo it one day, note the step count.  Back off, ice, elevate and resume slowly.  This is NOT a race.  Get all expectations out of your mind.  Your knee controls your recovery, not the other way around.  This takes time, work and patience.

• Posted

Yes, because if you overdo things it makes your knee very swollen. It's normally already generally swollen after TKR any way, and part of the healing process is gradually for that swelling to reduce over time, hence the importance of rest, ice, and elevation.

I only over did it once...too much too soon during a PT class gave me a red and painful leg in the evening. Horrible. You only do it once!

😉

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.