Over-medicated?

Posted , 6 users are following.

My most recent TSH level was 2.65 .  At my first endocrinology appt. the doc decided to up my meds by 50%.  I'm reading here that normal levels are as high as 4.0.  Should I take the higher dose?  I had still been experiencing hair loss and funky nails from this condition but I don't know what will happen if I over-medicate.  Im currently (prior to the upped dosage) on 30mg of armor thyroid (natural thyroid).  I couldn't tolerate the synthroid.

I'm frequently fatigued (but also am a type 2 diabetic and under a lot of stress due to a serious family issue) so I don't know where the fatigue is coming from (probably a combination of things).  My sugar is under control enough that I am not yet on meds.  My A1C was 6.2 and my blood glucose averages at about 112 -with some ups and downs but nothing drastic in either direction.

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

• Posted

Could your hypothyroidism be hashomottoes disease which I quite easy to cure in 85% of ppl with the food what you eat! 
  • Posted

The TSH at which you feel best is different for each person. I was still having symptoms at a TSH of 2.5-3, and I've started to feel better with an increased dose. My last TSH was .37 but I feel so much better, not overmedicated. A lot of people do feel better with TSH at least below 2. However, some people might feel overmedicated with that TSH...so you really have to listen to your body along with monitoring TSH and free Ts. You should talk to your endo about it and voice your concerns. If your dose is increased slowly and you know what to look for in terms of going hyper, you should be ok. I realize it's a little harder if you don't know exactly what to attribute all your symptoms to. Maybe it would help to keep a symptom log for a few weeks? 

• Posted

Hi rosed1961.

I'm assuming your in the US?  I'm in the UK and TSH levels are a lot higher here before starting any medication.  

Last August my TSH level was 4.14 ... My doctor classed it as borderline.  I had another test last month and it has risen to 5.43.  I was told to have another test in 3 months and it was still classed as borderline.

Anyway because I have been symptomatic for a while and Hypothyroidsm is in my family, my GP started me on 25mg of Levothyroxine.  After 9 days of taking it, I had to stop.  I ended up in A&E.  I felt a bit out of breath, then I had a sort of pressure in my chest, sweating, trembling, palpitations and diarrhoea. I had a paramedic check me over and he suggested I go to A&E to be checked out. So an Ambulance was called.

Anyway I had bloods taken and ECG's etc done and fortunately all was ok. But they think it maybe the Levothyroxine that had caused this. 

• Posted

My fiancee was on the same thing as you and I think the medication is not really good at curing you of this disease it's where the immune system attacks the thyroid gland that's what mashimottos disease is and could be the problem that excissts in your body se if going on a high protien diet helps you! Notice I said was? 

I used to live in the uk but now live in the Philippines, the heat here is good for my joints and asthma

• Posted

I'm not sure where your information on a high protein diet helping hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's is from, but I would be cautious in recommending that diet is a cure-all. Certainly eating healthfully is a good idea no matter what, and there are some studies showing that a small percentage of people with Hashimoto's also have celiac disease and do much better going gluten-free, but I think there's a lot of info floating around that is not well-substantiated. I've thought a lot about this because I have wondered about an doing one of these anti-inflammatory diets (eliminating gluten, soy, and dairy) to see if that would help. I'm not sure that it wouldn't, I'm not sure that it would either. I just haven't heard about high protein helping hashimoto's. Also it's important to take thyroid hormone if you aren't feeling good! The medication does not cure the autoimmune attack, but it does keep your body functioning properly smile

• Posted

Well there are ppl that have got cancer in their thyroid gland through having hypothyroidism and they don't live a very good life the things is as I said my fiancee HAD hypothyroidism and I cured it within 4-5 weeks with food it's not so much the food you eat it's also the food you don't eat to! 

That's fine jeneffer if you don't want me to say anymore far be it for me to go any further, good bye everybody just look out for foods that heal??? 

Oh I did cure my fiancées high blood pressure and diabetes which I used to have to? I wish you all a good healthy life! I was only trying to help!!!! 

• Posted

Sounds similar to my symptoms.  I don't remember palpitations but it's possible i'm forgetting--it's been awhile.  Pressure in chest 'woozy' feeling I do remember.  Thanks for the info

• Posted

I would take the dose recommended by the endocrinologist. If you start to feel weird you can always stop but if you don't try it you'll never know. In what way were you unable to tolerate the synthroid? Palpitations? If so then that could be a sign of overmedication. Is the dose of natural thyroid lower than the synthroid dose you were taking?

• Posted

The natural thyroid and synthroid are completely different so yes, the dosage is different.  I just felt very off and sickly on the synthroid and my hair fell out massively.  Now it's still falling out a little now and then but nothing like it was before and I feel 'normal' on the natural harmone.  Less long-term affects with the natural harmone as well

• Posted

I started on the lowest dose possible (synthroid) so there was no "backing off" 

• Posted

Rose, How long were I on the synthroid? How long have you been on Natural? 'm currently on Levo and being switched to the brand synthroid this week. I had my thyroid removed (3) weeks ago and I'm going through hell. I fell awful! I was normal until I started taking Levo 88mcg, it's poison. I need an alternative very quickly, i never felt this way in my entire life. I can't live like this, my head feels like it's on fire. I can't even sleep at night I guess I have insomnia thanks to Levo. My endo assured me that I'll be fine. I'm having very side affects such as; Hair loss, brain fog, fatigue, joint & muscle pain. It's a very powerful drug. I had no idea about the side effects prior to surgery. I asked my doctor For NDT OTC but she refused, she said it difficult to get the dosage right and she mentioned pig thyroid. I'm just so confused. I'm new to all,of this. I need some serious support and help. The doctors offer absolutely none. If you have any suggestions please share it with me. Thx so much. 

• Posted

I was only on synthroid a short time.  I don't remember anymore exactly how long but maybe 2 months?  I felt "woozy" and queasy and just an overall malaise.  My hair was coming out in handfuls.

I am very happy with the pig thyroid.  However, I do have a thyroid.  I'm assuming it would still help you but I'm not a doctor, of course.  I would try to get your doctor to let you give it a try and if he/she is not willing, I'd want to know why and I'd get a second opinion or do some research.

I wish you well.  This coupled with my type 2 diabetes gives me a great challenge to manage my condition in as natural a manner as possible.

• Posted

Rose, I would love to try the pig thyroid, from what I've read it's the best choice for most. However; my Endo will not consider it. I even asked for combo T3 T4 still no luck. Did you experience any major side effects from the pig thyroid? How long have you been taking it? It's only been (3) weeks for me so she says please give it a chance. Actually, a second opinion is probably best for me. My Endo live & die by Levo she says it's the best and all of her patients does well on it, which I find very difficult to believe. This stuff is poison. Ive read so many horror stories regarding Levo until it's very sicken. And, I'm experiencing more horror than ever. I was actually pretty healthy prior to taking it.  If you have any other resourceful info to share please do not hesitate to do so. Thx so much for your support!

• Posted

I've been very fortunate in that my primary care physician and my endo are supportive of me using the armour thyroid. I have no side effects at all with the pig thyroid.  I don't believe these doctors either (when they say they have no patients that are having difficulties ) because I know a lot of people who had trouble.  I've been on the armour for about 3 years now.  Could you try a different endo?

• Posted

Yes, I'm going to find another Endo. I'm in the process of finding another one now.  My Endo don't want bend any, she wants me to stick with Synthroid and only synthoid.  I really don't think it'll ever work for me.  Everyone that I come across on this site gives the same positive feedback regarding the pig thyroid. Are you in the US, Canada or UK? I'm in the US.

• Posted

I'm in the US.  If you have the funds to pursue a holistic practitioner it might be beneficial.  Most heath plans won't pay for them.

I wish you luck.  Stand up to them. It's your health.

• Posted

No I don't have the extra funds, I wish I did.  I know that the holistic health care is very costly. I'm researching info now regard their treatments. If I ever hit the lottery big, I'll definitely find one in my city. In the meantime Im stuck with a regular Endo & blue cross & blue shield. Thx dear!  

• Posted

Don't give up...i started out with a naturopath who was an MD and he prescribed nature-throid. Turns out he wasn't so good at listening to me about dosing and symptoms though, so I found an Endo who is much better and fine with me staying on the nature-throid. So maybe you could find a naturopath who is an MD as well so it would be covered, or keep looking for an Endo who is willing to prescribe pig thyroid. They are out there!

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, no I won't give up under any circumstances. I haven't had much time to do any research on natrapath medicine  I'm currently on the prowl for a better endo that can understand what I'm actually going through. I will also check into naturopath MD's. Living w/o a thyroid has been a horrible experience for me & being on synthroid meds. I've been on a physically and emotional roller coaster for (3) weeks now but I'll get through it.

Are you hypo or hyper? Do you have a thyroidectomy? How long have you been off the synthroid? 

Thx so much for reaching out dear. 

• Posted

I'm so sorry you've been struggling so much sad It makes it so much worse when you don't have a good doctor.

I am hypo (Hashimotos). I do have my thyroid and I never went on synthroid, because my naturopath gave me nature-throid right away. At the time I had no clue what the difference even was. I was good for a year then suddenly rapidly crashed and was miserable, and my dr wasn't very willing to listen because my levels weren't terrible. Found a new primary care who referred me to an Endo who has been great and much more knowledgeable about what hypo patients actually experience.

I hope you get some relief soon and are able to find a better doctor. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,  So, you crashed on the naturopath meds after a year, right? So, what happened? Endo continued to let you administer the same naturopath meds? Was your meds/dosage changed by current Endo? How did you end up feeling better? 

I think im going to stick with a traditional Endo. I know that I need long term care regarding my thyroidism, since I no longer have thyroid. I have to take meds for life and I'm ok with it. All I need is to find a good Endo to put me on the right meds at the correct dosage.

Actually, I was checking into OTC, I read a quite a bit of it last night and it seems to be safe, but it's pretty much over the counter and I wouldn't know the correct dosage to administer. However; I know that my endo would not approve. So it seems as if I'm back to square one. 

• Posted

I would think your best bet is to try to find a good Endo who can manage you long term. I know it might seem crazy right now but also three weeks is not long in thyroid-land. I've learned it can take a while for things to normalize. But you need to know your doctor will know how to make you feel best and be willing to work with you to get there, even if it takes time.

As for me, I don't know what happened exactly. I was training for a marathon and feeling great, then about 4-5 weeks before I started crashing on my long runs. I felt fine otherwise so I attributed it to being tired from training, but then the same thing happened during the race. It was the worst race of my life. After that, all my symptoms started rapidly coming back (carpal tunnel, fatigue), plus new ones - body aches, shoulder, elbow pain, really bad. Anyway, my doctor upped my dose a bit on my insistance, but was really rude and I was so done with him. So my new Endo is fine with the nature-throid, upped my dose a little more (levels hadn't changed much with the first dose increase), saying we would go as high as I needed. After staying on that dose for a month, my bloodwork was a lot better, and I finally gradually started feeling better. I'm not 100% but I can run again and carpal tunnel/body aches are gone. Just have some shoulder pain still. So it's taken almost three months of dose increases to start feeling better.

Anyway that's my story! I hope you can find some success soon! Maybe you can call some endos and ask questions about how they treat before making an appt. Like if they are open to natural thyroid, how they dose, etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.