Over medication of levothyroxine

Posted , 5 users are following.

H I have read with interest several posts regarding over medication of levothyroxine.  I have been hyprothyroid since my mid 40's, I am now 67.I have been on 125mg of levothyroxine for many years with a yearly blood test tsh of around 2.6 to 2.8.  I know that many think that the ideal level is around 1 or less.  Here is my dilemma I started being prescribed Vit D3 following a wrist fracture when I was found to have osteopenia.  This was in 2012 my blood test results in 2013 were 1.something and this year (May) .93.  I asked my gp if this was becuase of the vit D3 as I had read hypothyroids are deficient in this vitamin.  She said no it just varies over time.  Now I was the same for years it is only the last 2 years that the blood tests have come down.  During this time I have had a lot of anxiety (always a worrier) now seeing a councillor.  I have had a worsening of knee arthritis had spine and neck arthritis diagnosed. In addition I suffer from IB S reflux hypertension, and blepharitis.  I have had 2 cataract ops as well.  Sorry for the long winded story but my question is do you think I am now on too much thyroxine. My gp says they only do a full function test if the TSH is out of range.  I have often had coughing fits and alway thought my tongue was a big bigger than most.  I now have a bad cold and as always with colds get this choking cough.  I think I might have LPR as well as I have trouble with throat mucus.  I am just not sure whether to ask gp for a referral to an 

endocrinologist although I hear they are not much good either. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi! I completely understand your situation. I had a period this time last year when I felt horrific. Lots of symptoms of going over including racing heart and palpitations. This was really scary. My TSH was coming back as normal! I was sent for heart scans, tilt table tests...the lot! In the end I simply asked the doctor to test my t4 level as well as the tsh. The results showed that although my tsh was in 'normal' range, my t4 levels were completely wrong and were coming back as over! My point...demand the doctor tests your t4 as well. To be completely honest though, I have found my comfortable area with my medication levels, but taking the levo has never really helped with my symptoms. I still feel the same now as I did before diagnosis 4 years ago. I blame the levo and am currently trying to get Armour prescribed. Let me know how you get on and take care.
  • Posted

Hello Libral...I've been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism for about 21 years. I also take D3.  But I take a lot of other supplements good for this illness. I take calcium, a glucosamine/chondroitim/MSM supplement, L-Tyrosine,B12/B6/Folic Acid, selenium, vit. k, zinc and oh yes, I forgot to say in someone elses reply--I also take a copper supplement.  Please check with your doctor first before using anything I take.  I have to say this as I don't want to be responsible if you have a bad reaction.  But I've been taking these supplements for some time now and I am doing fine.  Oh, I also take a fish oil/Omega 3 supplement--just started lately. Then lastly, I take Armour Thyroid.  I feel much better on it than the synthetic stuff.  I go to an internal medicine doctor instead of an endochrynologist.  I was told that the ones at my clinic would try to make me take synthetic.  Look for a doctor who listens to you and is willing to try something different like Armour Thyroid.  I think there is another brand of natural thyroid but I don't remember the name.  Be proactive!
    • Posted

Hello Roman35

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me are in in the UK and

Which part. I am in Greater London.

• Posted

Sorry Tina not sure why it came up Roman35, using my Kindle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.