Over six weeks feeling depressed as I

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been over six weeks now with shingles. Rash still rough and red. Thigh feels numb. Most nerve pain is gone but I am exhausted and feeling depressed. I know that stress can cause the outbreak and I'm feeling that stress is slowing my recovery. Any help out there 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

As you will learn from those who respond here and from talking to others who've dealt with shingles, this is definitely not a "one size fits all" condition.  From the area it strikes to the length of the attack to the different symptoms and side effects, each case seems to be a little different from the other.  One thing that I believe most of us have experienced is fatigue and depression, which can last quite a while.  It's been 8.5 months since my attack and I am still very sleepy almost all the time.  Luckily, I'm retired and can rest as much as necessary.  Stress is supposed to be a contributing factor, although I don't believe it was for me.  As you know, reducing stress is much easier said than done and can go in a vicious cycle.  My main suggestion is to rest as much as possible but others here can give you better advice than I can.  Hang in there!

• Posted

Thank you Betty. I appreciate your input. Anyone that I know who had shingles had a mild case and were over it by Four weeks. My doctor told me i have a very severe case. I am retired and can rest as much as I want. But I am not so much to sleep but just no energy and lie down a lot. I am alone at the moment as my husband is out of province working building our retirement home and I was supposed to be flying down to meet him but no energy to go. I don't need him to help me physically but I am feeling stressed as I am stuck inside so much. I do go out for short treks but have to come home because of exhaustion. I wasn't sure if I need to see the doctor again but probably nothing more can be done. Thank you for allowing me to vent my frustration. 

• Posted

I can really empathise with you as I have just passed week 7 since being diagnosed with shingles. Right eye and side of face...in mouth up nose. Someone told me it was the worse case of shingles they had seen. I hadn't a clue what having shingles meant ...just thought it was a rash that went away after a couple of weeks.I still have areas that are numb and still getting stinging/burning and my eye is a bit puffy and doesn't feel normal..although it was checked out and is OK. I can't wear my contact lenses and because the bridge of my nose is still a bit swollen glasses make it even more uncomfortable after a while. I haven't been able to wear my dental plate as even my teeth and gums have been affected by the nerve pain. The first week I had extreme exhaustion and spent most of it in bed sleeping, felt nauseous and was off my food and lost weight...which was the only bonus! Think the nausea was possibly due to the anti viral meds.I really never expected to be still feeling like I do so far along...but I have read up loads and everything I have experienced and still going through seems to be normal. So I haven't bothered going back to my GP despite my husband nagging me that I should. I know the only thing they can/will offer is extra strong pain killers which I don't want. I had already phoned to ask if there was something they could prescribe for the burning skin and was told no just to carry on with the aloe vera moisturiser. Nothing at all I've tried has eased the burning. I'm struggling to stay positive and often feel quite depressed and have been very weepy some days. Don't know if it's due to the virus or just me having been stuck in the house so long plus not knowing how much longer it's going to take to be completely back to normal...and "look" normal. After the blisters and scabbing all went I'm left with very red skin that I can't hide with make up ...I just don't look my normal self with my puffy eye and wonky lip that's still sore plus I'm left with a few small scars under my eye....it's not the end of the world I know...I just want to feel well enough to get back to walking and trying to get fit. I haven't been outside the house I don't have the energy and have put on some weight so it all feels a bit of an uphill struggle at the mo. What a misery I must sound! I know I have been but I keep trying to remind myself it will all be better eventually. I was told you have to try and keep active a little, eat well, rest and not try to power through it and that there is no set time for recovery as everyone is different...some people still have problems after months...sometimes years. Hopefully that wont be us!

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

I have had PHN for 17 months so am still getting itching and soreness in and around my eye every day, as the eye is the worst place to have it apparently, head and forehead too!   I see other people having a mild case of it and getting over it in a month! Unfortunately everyone is different, sometimes we have to learn to live with something that doesn't seem to improve. despite meds and eye drops. Good luck with your recovery! 

• Posted

Sorry to hear you being in so much agony. Debra. That must be horrible being on your face as mine is on my thigh groin stomach and back. Not much pain now just the exhaustion and some discomfort walking.  I had some burning pain and I put a wet cloth on and it did relieve it some. I also use aloe Vera. Someone mentioned using solercaine with aloe  in it it might be worth a try. I just talked to my out of province doctor and told her how bad my

Rash still is and she  recommended that I go and see a doctor here and have them look at it just in case it could be a secondary infection so I will do that if I get the energy to go out and do it. I wish you all the best and I also hope like you say we both don't have to suffer much longer . P.S. I told her how after doing a little bit too much he break out in a cold sweat and she told me that it's my body telling me my energy has run out so good to lie down

• Posted

Thank you Jane ,I  sympathize with you and all your suffering and I heard it is worse on your face and anywhere else. I appreciate you responding to my blog as I did Debbie's above. It is nice to know there is is someone who can identify with what you're going through and somehow I don't feel so alone thank you and all the best of care do you

• Posted

Thank you,

i really hope you don't have all the problems I have had and hope  that you feel well soon 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.