Over this!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I went back to work pt. 7 working days ago. So rough and pain at night is horrible! Anyone have helpful ideas to get sleep? Am over it!

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I went to my GP and got strong pain killers. It was the only way I could sleep. Good luck
  • Posted

Drugs? Glass of wine. Scotch and soda? Aromatherapy? Try one or two, not all together. xx
  • Posted

I found sleeping with iced gel pack really helped with couple pain killers. Once I’d fallen asleep was ok. 
  • Posted

Most people return to work in the 4-6 months range.  Those who try it at three usually have great difficulty depending on the job, Their ROM and strength, and amount the knee has recovered.  Even those at a desk job find it very difficult to sit for 8 hours.  Results include increased, pain, swelling, nerve issues and sleep issues.  Here's something for the latter...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/trouble-sleeping-post-tkr--539591

The whole thing takes a year.  Expect less and you're listed as delusional.  After the ROM work comes the rebuilding of your atrophied quads, glutes and core...

Wanna climb stairs correctly again?  Walk without a limp the rest of your life?  This step is mandatory.  Gotta put in the work to get your life back...period.  It doesn't get better by itself.  You think you're "over this"?  The knee says differently and the knee always wins.  Accept it.  Own it.  Time, work and patience...that's your life until your year's up...

• Posted

Hi there 

I am 9?weeks post op and are off all meds now,but my nights are awful,

My doc gave me zopiclane and i was still waking every 2 hours, until i read a post on here the other day basically smother your knee in cream back and front and wrap in cling film round it before bed, i tried it and for the first time in 2 months i slept 6 hours, please try it.

Good Luck

• Posted

I’m afraid I’ve resorted to going to my GP and getting sleeping tablets as a temporary measure. Not ideal I know but keeps me asleep between medication times. 
    • Posted

Check my link above in this post.  Diphenhydramine (generic Benadryl...an antihistamine that makes you drowsy) 50mg an hour before bedtime.  However, combine it with a lot of the other techniques in the link for max effect.  It will have little to know effect if to take it and then watch TV for an hour.  Prepare your room...create a sleep ambiance for yourself.
    • Posted

Thank you; have had bad night tonight with pain. It’s my own fault as have not iced at all today; been without crutches most of day, work 5 hours and dear  me am I suffering tonight. I’ve just had to take Oral morph as nothing else is touching the pain. Feel that this is huge step backwards as bending I’m on 115 straightening -25 so still a problem but leg was bent for 3 yrs hence the Osteotomy. Has anyone else had setback at 5 weeks please 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.