Overactive bladder

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've posted things regarding my overactive bladder and have gotten help from these forums.Just finished PTNS and have had good results. However what I don't understand is why some days I am perfectly fine and other times I have to urinate every 15 min. To give you an example.....yesterday we had some work done in the house....then played cards for 3 hrs and didn't have to use the rest room once. After dinner it started. Couldn't sleep so stayed up as I had to constantly go. Finally after being exhausted fell asleep but up every 2 hrs. As a result so tired the next day. Does anyone else have this problem?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Marie, that would be me.  I don't know if it makes a difference because we are the opposite sex, but what helped me a lot, was to self catheter.  By inserting a catheter in my bladder, I was able to empty my bladder completely and so I need for using the toilet to urinate, became much less.  I think because you are a woman, that it is even easier for you.  The distance between the entrance of your body, to the bladder is much shorter and it's in a straight line.  As a man, the catheter has two curves to negotiate from the tip of the penis to the bladder.  Go see a urologist, and see what he says.  You have to see a urologist anyway, because to get catheter, you need a prescription.  Good Luck!

• Posted

I noticed your reply to Ann Marie. How many times a day do you self catheterise? I also have this problem and have to cath. up to 3 times a day. How do you avoid UTIs? I take prophilaxic antibiotic once a day and still occasionally get infection. How old are you? I'm 74 male.

• Posted

Davidansy, I CIC from two to four times  a day.  Mostly it is between two to three times.  I am 69 years old and as far as I know, I've never had an infection.  I've been doing CIC close to two years.  If I did have an infection, I don't think I would do antibiotics.  Antibiotics, kill all the bacteria, good ones as well as bad ones.  There are around 25 trillion good and bad bacteria in the human digestive tract, and antibiotics, would wipe them out completely.  After that, you would have to build up the bacteria population starting from zero.  The double edge sword, on this is that now the bacteria in your body, is a little more adaptable, and will mutate, so that killing them again, will be a little bit more difficult.  This is what I read somewhere on the internet.  It makes sense to me.  Kind of like cancer cells.  You kill  them with Chemotherapy, they are completely gone except for a few survivors, so now if they should repopulate the body, killing them the second time will be more difficult, because the surviving cells, have mutated.  

• Posted

Thanks Dennis but why do you have to catheterise 2 to 4 times a day?

About 5 years ago I had an early stage cancer removed from my bladder. At the same time I was given 1 dose of chemo and thereafter BCG treatment every 6 months for 3 years, each one followed by a flexible cystocopy. I have been catheterising up to 3 times a day for the last 4 years as I no longer get an urge to empty my bladder even if it is brim full (1100ml). Infections occur if there is residual urine left in the bladder too long. Before I get a systoscopy (every 6 months) my water is tested and if infection is present, it can't be done. Although I don't get usual symptoms, my urine becomes cloudy and smelly, then I get a script for antibiotics. I also take a low dose antibiotic every night, rotated every 3 months.

• Posted

Marie, 

Try 300 mg of ibuprofen after dinner  (take with milk).   

For me it adds just enough calming to my bladder to let me get good sleep.

Also helps, avoid pushing ie when constipated.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Thank you jill. I'll try it tonight. I take ibuprofen when I get pressure. I'm just always afraid of taking too much. Do you take one every night?

• Posted

I tried the ibuprofen with milk and the first good nights sleep i had in a long time.   No pressure either.    Took one tonight too.    Thanks for your suggestion.
  • Posted

Yes Ann Marie , I have that problem as well. I have talked it over with my urologist and she is going to have me go through this procedure to test the how many times I go , what might be triggering the amount of times and several other things. What I have to to prior to this test is , keep a log for three days. On August 7th I will go through this test. They will be sending me instructions through the mail today. Once I get it, I can tell you the name of the procedure.
    • Posted

i had the irritable bladder in the summer and after several antibiotics it seemed to clear. it was suggested if it didnt i should have urology tests cystoscopy etc. i have been pain free since then so didnt proceed. now suddenly after a chest infection the bladder pain is back out of nowhere. dr has tried to give me bicarbonate of soda but looks like trimethroprim to be used. i feel so sick anywaym thus drug makes me worse. any help you can give?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.