Overactive bladder

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I have been diagnosed with OAB since July 2017. The urologists has prescribed santura XR but isnt working. Is it safe to have surgery without any serious complications. I can not deal with getting up in the middle of the night to urinate. It is very frustrating.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

U most probably still have an underlying bladder infection. See info on Prof. Malone-Lee.

• Posted

Thanks for replying,

I went to see an urologist and she did an urinalysis and everything was normal. She also told me to cough while she inserted her hand in my vagina and she said that I had a prolapsed bladder. Have you ever experienced this before? I am 36 yrs. old with 3 children. She stated the cause of OAB is unkown and the symptoms may be managed with medication, implantation of a electrical device in my sacrum, or botux injections to the bladder every 3 months but it isnt a cure for OAB.I believe there may be something else that is causing my bladder to descend into my bladder. I dont want to do any of the treatments she suggested because it might make things worse.

• Posted

Welcome to the OAB club! I don't know SanturaXR, Vesicare is more commonly used and it works for somebody.

Yes, for what I experencied too, medication and other remedies are not so effective. They work for someone, for others no effects, but for someone they have even worse effects. Stay away from TVT, there are so many scary cases gone wrong. Electrical device is a solution in extreme cases where the problem is just with the nervous system, not for prolapsed bladder. Botox IMO not worth it, it makes you unable to pee in the first days/weeks and progressively come back to your previous state in 2 or 3 months.

Probably, from what you wrote, the main causes of your OAB are just the three births. Is it started or considerably worsened just after that? How much is big your problem, like you are having continuous leakages or just doing something (coughing, laughing, lifting weights,...), enough to fill a small pad or a big one? In mild cases Kegel exercises help a lot or even solve everything. Have you done them after deliveries?

• Posted

Hey,

What is TVT? MY kids ages are 5,11,14. I had my 11year old and 5 year old vaginally and my 14 yr. old was C-Section. Will kegel exercises help with the prolapsed bladder?My bladder always fills full after I empty it. These symptoms started last year. I know I wasnt drinking enough fluids and sometimesI was constipated. Is there anyway this could be reversible or treatable?

• Posted

TVT (trans-vaginal tape) is a mesh tape attached to the urethra to lifts and supports it and the neck of your bladder. The major problems happen when it too tight (making you almost impossible to pee without catheter), too loose (so useless) or when it causes big pain (happens very often). It's commonly suggested by doctors and it works for some women but there are also a lot of them that strongly regret this surgery (look online for "Sling The Mesh", you will find shocking infos).

kegel exercises usually are a big help, in some cases they will even stop all the leaks. I don't know really how much but they improved my bladder problem too, especially just after my two births. It's a common required procedure after birth just to avoid or treat prolapsed bladder.

I strongly suggest you to start from them, and yes, drink enough (at least 2,7pt/1,5l a day) and eat a lot of veggies and fruits to avoid constipation (that has a big impact on the bladder continence). In six/eight weeks you should see improvements.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.