Overactive bladder after prolapse surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

HI ladies,

I am 7-8 weeks post op from a uterus prolapse. I did not have a hysterectomy but a sacrohysterpexy. Which is basically they pull the womb up and use a small piece of mesh which is covered by skin and attached to the sacrum. I seem to now have a overactive bladder! Anyone experienced an overactive bladder. I have been advised physio therapy and possible medication to retrain the bladder. Any advice welcome!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi yes I have an overactive bladder and take medication every night which is vesicle 5mg. Seems to do the trick I am also doing my floor exercises since my recent op. I try to hold on as long as I can too before emptying my bladder.

• Posted

Hi Maureen,

Is your medication you are taking for a peroid of time? My gyno reccomenned another type of medication called Betmiga 50mg i think. I am now having to do the research on medications would you believe it! I am so glad i have found this forum. It is brilliant to be able to talk to other women.I too have been advised to do pelvic floor exercises but my physio appt is not until mid July, so i have been doing manual pelvic floor exercises after 6 weeks after my op. I am suffering with perimenopause and have been bleeding for 14 days now, so that is not helping the overactive bladder. Cant wait to see the physio! How long can you hold on for with the medication? I seem to be wanting to go every 1.5/ 2 hours. The amounts vary depending on how much i drink. It is a real killer trying to hold on at times! I am frightened to go out now. Are you taking the medication for a peroid of time and then you slowly come of it?  

• Posted

Wow 1/5-2 hour sounds good to me. I have pelvic floor repair 5 weeks ago and some days I'm running to the loo every 15-20 mins. I have been doing floor exercises and must admit I'm not sure I'm doing any good as everything feels odd at the moment, I suppose there is a lot of repair going on. I have also been trying to hang on as long as possible but don't want to do it too often and cause a bladder infection - you can't win can you. I am also have a little dribble occasionally especially when sitting down or getting in the car which is really worrying. I have a follow up physio and consultant appointment next week and I'm hoping they will say this is all normal and things will improve - fingers crossed.
    • Posted

I hope things go well with your appointments next week. You cannot help worrying about things. I have been really trying to be strong and sometimes i feel i am going to have a nervous breakdown with all the worry! I too am hoping things will eventually be back to normal! I keep getting the urge quite alot during the 1.5/2hours and have the ocassinal little leak. But like you worry about getting a bladder infection if i try to hold too long! I have heard of the kegal ultra 20 which is a electrontric pelvic floor device which has a programme for overactive bladder, but i need to wait until i see the physio first. There are some really good reviews on it and how it helps. Hopefully there will be light at the end of the tunnel for all us ladies with prolapse repairs and bladder/bowel problems. I am not sure weather to start taking medication to help bladder retraining or just wait and see if pelvic floor exercises do the trick first. The lady Maureen is taking meds and she said it seems to be doing the trick. I read a normal healthy bladder should be emptying every 3-4 hours . So a fair way to go yet! Let me know how you go with your appointments. I will have my fingers crossed for you as well x
    • Posted

Hi again

The meds I am taking is solifenacin 5mg taken daily indefinitely I think and seems to calm the bladder down. At least I do not need to get up at night anymore. It does make your mouth slightly dry at first but you get used to it. My consultant says dry mouth dry knickers lol.

With regards to the pelvic exercises I have been doing them since the end of week one. My memory is useless so I have downloaded the kegel app to remind me and so far so good. Before my op I used the electronic kegel ultra it did contract my muscles but not sure if it helped or hindered my condition

I would if I had the courage try it again but that's a long way off due my internal stitches.

• Posted

Really sorry you are suffering this too but it's such a relief to know there are others with the same problems. I will post when after my next appointment in the meantime I am seeing my GP tomorrow for something else and will ask for a urine test just in case.
  • Posted

Just wanted to ask you ladies a question about incontinence. A friend of mine had this problem as well and had to get up five times a night to go to the bathroom and had to go many times during the day as well. Do you ladies have to wear incontinence pad and do you find that to be the only alternative? Or do you have another solution that you have found? Look forward to your response. Thanks.

Lynn

• Posted

Hi Lynn

I too was like this but I have improved dramatically at night, seldom needing to get up since being on the medication. Has she been checked for a urine infection as this worsens my condition?

• Posted

Hi,

Early days for me at the moment. I try not too drink now too much at night before i go to bed. I think the requirement for water a day is 8x 200ml glasses of water a day. I was never one for drinking alot of water before the op and probably had was drinking bigger amounts but less during the day. eg 500ml x 4 a day. I am experimenting at the moment to see how the bladder is reacting to different amounts of water at a time. I have found so far that drinking bigger amounts 500ml my urge is much stronger therefore needing to go to the toilet more. I have found by drinking less at night i do not have to get up during the night as much. It is a bit of a balancing act, trying to get the required amount of water per day. You should also be peeing 300ml or more when you go. As i say it is early days for me but i will have to consider medication if pelvic floors exercises do not do the trick. I am wearing pads anyway for bleeding "Perimenopause so if i go out and find myself in an uncomfortable situation on the urge! i have at least some protection before i find a toilet! I have found the free spirit brand from Tescos to be comfortable and not too bulky in knickers. I am not relishing the thought of having to wear pads for the rest of my life though i am 47 years old! But no matter what age you are, i think women would rather not have to rely on pads. I am hoping to find treatment of something in the end. But at the moment feeling very unwell with bleeding!  Ask your friend to talk to her GP and maybe she may well find a soloution to having to keeping peeing. Having to go that many times in a night is affecting her sleep and that is not good. Alot of women suffer with this and just try and live with it. But i would rather try and find a solution to the problem.

• Posted

Hi

i am 8 weeks post anterior,posterior repair and I also had my womb lifted. I too am having terrible problems with my waterworks it's hard to know if it is infections (as i am prone to them) or an overactive bladder. I have a see but the feeling of wanting to go is still there- it's such a pain when you are trying to sleep!! The doc has given me vesicare tablets to try and calm the bladder down and also antibiotics incase i have an infection. I completely understand. When you say you fear you will have a nervous breakdown !! It's such a worry but it's great to be able to talk to others on this forum 😘😘😘😘

• Posted

Hoo, boy, I have the overactive bladder in spades!  I take Rx trospium, and keep pyridium on hand.  I don't take either medication daily, but I'm always wary of the least little twinge that can spell trouble.

It usually twinges when I'm planning to go out shopping or something.  And I have postponed/cancelled trips when the bladder speaks.

Ease off the caffeine.  I know, I know, easier said than done, but that is one of the top irritants to your poor bladder.

And know you have company.

~VOW

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.