Overactive Thyroid

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've just been diagnosed with an overactive thyroid, ive been feeling unwell for about 7wks, tired, sleepless nights, lost weight, then 2wks ago my anxiety got so bad i couldn't breath, I was shaking, my heart was racing, I lost my appetite, I felt so bad i visited my doctor had some blood tests and found out that it was my thyroid. I have been put on 30mg of Propranolol and am off to the hospital in 10 days, my doctor has given me 5mg of Carbimazole until then. I'm still struggling with my shortness of breath and i find it very difficult to eat because of this, however i'm quite happy to eat junk food. I've always been a very active person going to the gym 3 times a week, and I am a very healthy eater. At this moment in time i don't feel like going out or doing anything. Will these feeling pass and if so how long will it be before i start feel anything like my old self sad

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Rachie,

Do you know what your blood levels are, T3, T4 or TSH. this would tell you just how overactive you are. I've had it since January I found it a bit slow going at first. The propanolol should work straight away and dampen your symptoms and calm your heart down but from my understanding carbimazole takes weeks to start slowing thyroxine production. My overactive thyroid was pretty bad and took 10 weeks to control with 40mg of carbs daily. I also found that you feel better some days than others with no real rhyme or reason to it. I don't feel too bad now and that dreadful anxiety has gone, I was told not to exercise and am thinking about starting back at the gym now. Good luck when you see an endocrinologist you will know a lot more then.

Jane

• Posted

Hi Rachie. Sorry you're not feeling very well. The endocrinologist told me that it took about six weeks to feel any benefit from the Carbimazole, but I started to feel better long before the six weeks were up. Like Jane I was on 40 mgms. daily together with Thyroxine and Propranolol. I had radioactive iodine in November and went overactive again so had to go back on Carbimazole and Thyroxine, but I'm just on Thyroxine now and feel fine.

You will start to feel better once you've seen the endocrinologist and your treatment starts to take effect.

Take care and keep in touch.

Marigold

• Posted

Hello Rachie, I really sympathise with how you feel. It was the anxiety and pounding heart that sent me to the doctors in the first place. The Propanolol was a life saver, if you feel that 30 mgs isn't enough, do let your doctor know because he can change the dose till you are more comfortable. I couldn't wait for the Carbimazole to work, I was hanging on by my teeth for the first 4 weeks or so but then things gradually improved. I think rest is really important in the early days, when you need a lie down, lie down if you can ! Eat what you like, you need the calories ( good excuse to eat cake etc) and don't worry, you won't always feel this bad. Take care, Bess.
  • Posted

Awww Rachie ,we know how you feel ,my doctor thought it was depression as i had just lost my husband and dad, but i knew by how ill and strange i was feeling it was nothing like depression and it wasnt untill my heart started racing and was rushed in to hospital that they found my thyroid was sky high ,All of on here are here for you ,the others (marigold,bess kat and jane )understand the levels better than me and will help you understand it) lol i have to ask marigold as she is futher on with her treatment than the rest of us ,so anything you need to know ask

them ,Marigold has been a god send for me .....take care sue xx

• Posted

Susy1,

I deleted your post after the one above as it was duplicated. I'm guessing this was because the one above was automatically alerted. This is because you typed \"Awww\" - our software picks up www as a link to a website and auto alerts. :?

I have asked the developer to change this as we get a few cases like yours above.

Sorry for any confusion.

EMIS Moderator

• Posted

Hi Rachie. How are you today? I was just thinking about what Bess said about eating, and she's right. Just eat what you fancy. I'd always had a good appetite, but I went right off my food. I had to really fancy something before I could eat it. Sometimes I'd spend ages making something then I couldn't eat it. Our fridge was like a dieticians nightmare - trifle, pots of rice pudding, fruit jellies. It passes, and I've got my appetite back now. Remember - a bit of what you fancy does you good. :lol:

If you need to know anything just ask. We all help each other.

Take care,

Marigold

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.