Overactive thyroid

Posted , 4 users are following.

after numerous blood tests my gp said i had an overactive thyroid and that she was going to monitor me.

My temperature is basically uncontrollable and at work i am contstantly passing out, vomiting and tired like you wouldnt believe. On going back, a different gp dismissed it as menopause… Which is rubbish as I had a hysterectomy 15 years ago. A further visit and the GP has said that it’s overactive but not enough and they will do nothing about it. The symptoms are driving me crazy! Does anyone have any suggestions

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Beverly. ..So Sorry to hear you are suffering so badly ...All i can suggest is that you make them listen to you by making a "nuisance " of yourself I had a similar problem with my GP and blood test which he kept saying were borderline...until I was rushed into Hospital some two and a half years ago with a heart rate off the scale. ...Blood work was done and it was found I did in fact have an overactive thyroid ....I must admit my treatment once diagnosed has been exceptional. ....I hope they diagnose you soon so you can start to feel better ..Take care...Hugs Blighty x

• Posted

Hi Beverley, I had the same problem 9/10years ago. Heart palpitations, energy beyond control but would eat and fall asleep instantly (to the point I banned myself from sitting down for at least 2hrs after dinner- if I did sit, I'd be asleep within seconds)... Sickness, especially before and during monthly cycle and no memory. Writing lists for everything. My lovely (new at the time) doctor asked to take my blood and results were Graves Disease. - It's part of the overactive thyroid family. 18months of medication - took 2 tablets a day for the first 4/6wks then 1 tablet a day for the remainder (and I was rocketing in the beginning). It took a few years to feel calm again. Anyway, I did go Gluten Free during this as the sickness, bloated feeling was still there. This for me changed my life overnight. Now, yes monthly is sore, usual woman functions but no longer sick. The migraines have gone, the aching has gone and I have felt a lot better than I ever did. The gluten free (after 4 yrs) was confirmed as non-coeliac gluten sensitivity. Whatever it is, I haven't eaten gluten for years now. When I did,the uneasy feeling would start in my throat then my chest until the pain hit the top of my stomach and for me, it would be cup of sugar tea after cup of sugar tea until it was gone/out. (sorry)... Remember everyone is different and you can only work with your doctor to find out YOUR solution. One thing i would say, is try different things. Start with the basics and introduce the rest. LISTEN to your body and talk to your doctor. Best Wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.