Overactive thyroid and diarrhoea

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. My 17 year-old daughter has been diagnosed with an overactive thyroid. She has been taking Carbimazole for about 6 months and is showing signs of improvement with each blood test and has recently had her medication reduced which is great. However, she has stomach pain and diarrhoea most days. The stomach issue was what she originally went to see the GP for and a blood test revealed a problem with her thyroid. She has tested negative for celiac disease BTW. Has anyone else suffered with a stomach complaint like this? We just don't know if it is linked to the thyroid problem or a separate issue. It just isn't getting any better. Thank you for reading this.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Many Naturopaths connect stomach problems with thyroid disease.  I have not heard of the medical profession doing this though.  Has she been checked for an H.pylori infection?
    • Posted

Hi Linda187

She hasn't been tested as far as I know.

?I have spent many hours on google looking for info - most of what I find indicates that thyroid disease and stomach problems are linked but the consultant said they aren't. The nurse said they are!

?I just wish there was a way to manage this unpleasant side effect for her.

• Posted

Yes it is linked !!!  The thyroid is like the tick over setting on a car.  It it is turned up the engine runs faster and faster.   As the thyroid becomes more active your body is being told to increase speed, so everything  and that includes digestion will speed up.  You get hotter, use more fuel and your digestive system runs faster so as well as trying to use more energy it can reach the point where food is going through so fast it doesn't have time to digest. Thyroid induced IBS !  Very unpleasant - it was what finally made me go for blood tests.  

• Posted

Because the thyroid is responsible for well, EVERYTHING in your body (including the digestive tract), diarrhea is common.  Try to keep her hydrated with electrolytes in water and watch milk intake

Good Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.