Overactive thyroid, graves - Part 1

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello All,

I was diagnosed with over active thyroid 5 months ago. It was found because my pulse was 120 and irregular. Shortly after they found out i had graves disease. i dont have many of the graves symptoms but it does give me an over active thyroid. I am a 36 year old male, it seems to be mainly women who get this, only 1 in 7 are male im told.

I had a TH3 - 30 and TH4 - 75 after a few weeks of 40mg carbinazole, im also on whaferin 7mg (so far!)and propanazole 80mg.

my muscles have ached for years, i used to be such a atheletic person playing pro sport in my early 20's, now i ache and get muscle cramps quite often. i am relieved that i have finaly been diagnosed with something as i thought i was going mad, but now i want it to end

anyone been through a similar experience? i would love to hear from you

dave

0 likes, 369 replies

369 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi All, Well im off for a blood test today as for the last 3 weeks have been as hot as hell in bed & unable to sleep also have bad heart palps. Dont know if its menopause, thyroid or both but, what i do know is im getting bloody fed up!!!!!!! Hope you are all keeping your chins up? yes this is a lonely illness as no-one else understands how we feel i feel like im constantly moaning lol well i probarbly am!!!!!!!!!!! Take care all.Elaine.
  • Posted

Hi Elaine, Sorry you're having a bad time. This disease is a real bummer, just when you think you're getting somewhere you fall flat on your face again. I too AM REALLY FED UP !!! and want my life back. I think this illness knocks your confidence, in life and in what you can do. I am constantly holding back from doing new things in case I start to feel worse. This is not the way to live ! You are not always moaning, you have given so much encouragement and support to others on this site. I have really appreciated you being there. Have a good moan when you need to, we all have to let off steam. Hope you get sorted soon. Take care everyone, Bess
  • Posted

Hi Bess. Sorry you're feeling fed up. You're right, this disease is a bummer. I had my blood checked last Thursday, phone call on Friday, I'm hyper again. I thought things were going too smoothly.

We had to cancel our holiday in May as I was too ill to go. I couldn't face it, and I wouldn't have been able to walk about as my legs were too swollen. I don't think I could face going on holiday now. Hope you feel better soon.

Elaine, sorry you're fed up too. As Bess says you do offer a lot of encouragement and help to others. You moan if you want too. There's nothing like a good moan, it does you the world of good. Take care.

Marigold.

• Posted

Hi All, Thankyou Bess & Marigold those comments have really cheered me up. Most people including yourselves offer good support & advice also so we all need to keep up the good work!!!! Im due a blood test next week so will see what that has to say will probarbly say im in `normal range`whatever thats supposed to be. I dont think they should go by whats deemed as normal they should go by our symptoms but sometimes you may as well talk to a brick wall ( here i go again with the moaning lol )Sorry you have gone hyper again Bess have they upped the carbs? & Marigold what a s... having to miss out on a holiday i felt like that last year so know how your feeling about that. Well we must all keep our chins up & carry on riding the storm until things get better for us all as i know they will smile Take care all. Elaine. ps Anyone heard from Dave? hes gone awfully quiet hope hes ok.
  • Posted

Was thinking just the same thing about Dave. Give us a shout Dave and let us know you're ok. Hang in there kids ! Bess
  • Posted

Hi all. Got my latest bloods t4 16.8, t3 4.1 & tsh o.13 not too bad but, think could be better. Have to see the endo in oct so dont know if they will up my thyroxine or not? am currently only on 50mg very low dose well will soon find out!!!! Hope everyone else is keeping well? Seems to have gone awfully quiet on here lol. Elaine.
  • Posted

Evening Elaine. Yes maybe you need a wee increase. I've heard a lot of underactive folks on thyroxine say that they feel best when their T4 is at the higher end of the scale. At least you're not overactive again so looks like the RAI has done its job and you must be pleased about that. I am still sweating my way through the night times - how much of that is down to the menopause and how much is thyroid related is anyone's guess? I go back to endo in October too so will see what he's got to say about it then. I've started getting awful heartburn again and my appetite is diminishing. I have been trying to lose a bit of weight and I am a bit lighter but again is that down to my diet or am I a bit hyper? Must get blood done soon. At least the weather will be getting cooler again soon and that always makes me feel better. Have never really liked warm summer weather.

Hope things are ok with you Bess and Marigold. Dave.......are you out there and are you ok?

Take care all. Lotte.

• Posted

Hi Lotte. Sorry to hear about your heartburn. I had it really bad when I was hyper. I get my blood checked again this week.. It was up last time, my thyroxine was reduced to 50, but I have a feeling it's still up a bit. I'm feeling hot, and I still haven't put any weight back on.

I prefer cool weather too. I've never liked warm summer weather either.

I've always preferred winter clothes, nice cosy jumpers. I get some funny looks when I say I don't like it hot and sunny, but I don't care. :lol:

Hope everyone is ok.

Take care.

Marigold

• Posted

Hi everyone, Glad you're all hanging in there, despite the tricky bits. Wish Dave would get in touch, hope he's ok. I am plodding along on just 5mgs of Carbimazole and 40 mgs of Propanolol twice daily. The anxiety just won't go away which makes my heart jumpy, which makes me anxious ! I have tried 3 times to cut down on and then stop the Propanolol, have felt great for a few days but then anxious and edgy again. I don't like the stuff, physically I feel much better without it, less tired, more clear headed. Any one else feel grotty on it ? I am not due for a blood test until the end of October, GP said 6 months was ok as I had \"normal\" results last time. You're right Elaine, whats normal on paper may not be how we feel ! Thanks everyone for keeping me going. Take care all. Bess
  • Posted

Hi All, Im sure my thyroxine needs to be upped as i just dont feel right im sleeping at least 11-12 hours!!! & still tired not like me at all.As for the night sweats well mine is down to the menopause bloody great being a woman lol. Iwant the warm days im a sun worshipper so, not looking forward to the winter.I get where your coming from Bess about normal results whats normal? I may be ok at 13 but, someone else might need to be 19 & vice-versa. I think they say normal range cos they know it is nigh on impossble to get an individual back to their normal!!!!! Well moan over lol. Take care. Elaine.
  • Posted

Hi Bess. I'm on Propranolol 20mgms. three times a day. I felt a bit strange when I first went on them, as if I was walking through treacle, but I feel fine now. I'll have to wean myself off them at some point, but I'll wait until my thyroid is more settled. If it ever is. lol I'm sorry it makes you feel grotty.

Elaine. I think they take too much notice of blood results, and not enough notice of how we feel. My last blood test was 16 and I feel ok at that level. My GP wanted to reduce my thyroxine to 25 from 50. I told him I wanted to leave it where it is. I know how I feel. He doesn't. lol.

Take care everybody.

Marigold

• Posted

hi all,

sorry not been on for a while busy busy. will have a read through the threads when i get chance, ill also post an update on my meds etc.

all seems well, im busy at work n home,

hope your all well, dave

• Posted

Blimey Dave - I thought you were dead ! Good to hear from you, catch up soon. Bess .
  • Posted

Hey Dave - Good to hear from you. Glad you are well. Look forward to catching up with your news when you get the time.

Yeh Elaine Marigold & Bess these so called 'normal' ranges are a bit of a bore. One thing that's always puzzled me is: Until our thyroids went wonky / we got Graves we didn't know what our own individual normal T4 levels were, did we? Therefore, how do our medics know what T4 level to strive for to get us back to our feeling good 'normal'? Even if we all had TSH's within normal ranges, we could all have had widely varying T4 levels. My endo likes me to be at about T4 15 (9 - 19) but I feel crap at that level. I feel better up nearer 19 but that freaks him out! I know he's concerned about my heart etc. but I think now he trusts me to let him know if I have palpitations etc. Anyway blood test booked for 5th October and I go back to see him on 14th. Elaine - I would ask for an increase. Sleeping that number of hours per day doesn't sound right for you.

Take care everybody.

Lotte. X

• Posted

Hi again All,

So sorry I havn't posted recently. I had a great holiday came back home, done loads of jobs around the house and gone back to work. Ive been given a new section to manage along with keeping my original section so they are considering my health hey?

Im on 100mcg of levothyroxine and feeling pretty good. I think i was so ill for so long its great to feel normal again. I do get tiered now and then and the odd heart flutter but tbh im pretty good. Had my eyes tested and they said they are fine but i still get very sore tired eyes. Work said theyd get me a new larger montor for my computer, that was 3 month ago and still waiting. Aparentlly theyve found an old one thats bigger than my original, tight geets.

They sent me back under my doctor a couple of months ago as they said i was stable and in range, i cannot remember what my results were, think my th4 was 12 and they said between 10-20 is good. Just gota keep plodding on.

I enjoyed reading all your posts, thanks for the updates, keep me posted,

Dave

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.