Overactive Thyroid Graves Part 4

Posted , 60 users are following.

We all have Graves Disease or overactive thyroid issues, most of us have been through RAI and are now on thyroxine.

10 likes, 1228 replies

1228 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Deb,

I'm still here - back on 'block and replace' as I can't face swallowing a radioactive substance. Am reading up on keeping the thyroid activity low naturally after I've finished this course. confused

• Posted

Come on everyone. Rise and shine. lol Let us know how you all are.

How are you feeling Stefania? I always felt fine on block and replace.

Marigold

xxx

• Posted

Hello everyone

Stefanie how are you levels ? Is the block and replace working .

I had the rai at the beginning of the year and I had a scan on my thyroid a couple of months ago and it worked as they said my thyroid is now tiny, but the downside is I always feel like I've got something stuck in my throat . Been discharged from the hospital and now under my doctor .

Marigold i think we need to SHOUT louder smile

Take care Deb xx

• Posted

Hi All

Hope everyone is doing ok.

A quick update from me, after my T4 level shooting up in early Oct to 35.9 I increased the carbimazole dose back up to 30mg per day & had another blood test last week. Amazingly the T4 has dropped back to 16.8 so in theory I could now have my surgery which was originally scheduled for next week.

However, my BUPA surgeon can't now do it next week and wanted to do it in 3 weeks but I have a holiday booked and do not want to feel ill while I am away so I've put it off now until the new year.

Trouble is I am getting cold feet about having the operation and would really prefer not to go through with it! and I'm absolutely sure I don't want RAI so I'm thinking maybe I could give block and replace a try. I don't know much about it, how long do you normally go on it for and what are the success rates like?

I would be very grateful for any information or past experiences.

Best wishes to all.

Regards

Ann

• Posted

Hello Hello,

Following on from RaI in the spring and then going massively Hypo i am now on 100mig of thyroxine. Had a blood test tow weeks ago and my TSH is now at 8 and T4 at 19.5.

We now think i'm about to go Hyper again so another test in two weeks with the probable outcome of having the thyroxine reduced.

I feel alot better generally however i have a constant tiredness that will not shift, i'm working but only part time and have to go to full time next week as they will not pay me full time money any longer for part time hours.

The GP said the tiredness is a hangover from being so far Hypo and its likely to remain for months.

What Joy..

Take Care

Chris

• Posted

Hi

I had RAI about 15 months ago and after some juggling of thyroxine dosage have settled at 100mcg three times a week and 75mcg the other 4 days which seems to have things under control. I feel fine (including having successfully got through 2 hip replacements this year too). No regrets about choosing RAI and have got into a good routine of remembering which dose on which day. Can only say big thanks to NHS thus far.

Best wishes to all

AgW

• Posted

Hello All,

I'm on block & replace nearly 2 months now (second time round) and after battling a bit the first month, when the replace of thyroxine at 100mcg was too high, I'm feeling better now with it at 75mcg. Take Neomercazole 20mg twice a day.

To Ann, the first time I was on block and replace was for 18 months and it apparently has a 80% success rate. I blame my redundancy and incredible stress levels this year that made my thyroid flare up again. I would definitely try block and replace before surgery or RAI. I too, would prefer surgery to RAI, but one needs a good surgeon!

Stefania

• Posted

Hello everyone.

Hi Ann. It's recommended that the longest you stay on block and replace is eighteen months. When my Graves first flared up over 40 years ago (gosh I must be old) I had a course of carbimazole and it stayed under control until it flared up again about three and a half years ago. My endo said that as it had flared up twice there was a good chance it would flare up again if I just went back onto block and replace so I needed surgery or RAI.

I decided to have RAI and I've never regretted it.

My sister in law started with Graves just over a year ago. She's had a course of carbimazole and it has settled down, but she's been told that there's a good chance it will come back.

I hope you get things sorted. xxx

Hi Chris. I tire very easily, and I've never been hypo. It's a symptom of Graves. I've always been on the go, dashing round. Even when I'm sitting down I'm a fidget, but I make myself sit down and have a rest now. I hope you manage to cope with working full time. xx

Hi AgW, I'm glad you're doing well, and have things under control. I have no regrets about choosing RAI either. As I've said I do tire easily, but a lot of that could be due to getting older too.xx

Hi Deb. Are you pleased you've been discharged back to your doctor, or would you be happier seeing your endo? I'd rather see my endo. At least he knows what he's talking about. confused xx

Thinking of everyone.

Marigold

• Posted

Hello everyone

Ann you did well to get your t4 down that quick , well done . I can't help on the block and replace because I didn't have it but good luck with whatever you decide to have smile

Chris my tsh is 7 and I still feel tired , it's a good thing getting your bloods checked every two weeks so you can keep a close eye on your levels . Apart from the tiredness I'm glad your feeling better smile

Agw. Wow you are doing well smile I'm same as you and marigold I'm glad as well that I had rai .

Marigold I would be a lot happier if I could still see the endo . He reassured me more than the doctors .

I had to smile when I read about you dashing around as it's sounds like me smile

Take care Deb xx

• Posted

Hi everyone. I have an overactive thyroid for the second time.The first time was about 6 yrs ago and it flared up again in Spring this year I was getting really bad palpitations, losing wieght and feeling breathless and as I have had this before I asked my doc to do a thyroid test when attending my annual bp blood test. She told me that I was not due a test so I told her that I was getting palpitations and going to the loo more often to which she suggested might be the diuretics I was on. I said not bladder but bowel! So she said ok will do the test .It felt like I was having to insist on one? I then got the phone call to make app as thyroid high , saw a diff doc who asked if I had been taking too much thyroxine!! I have never been on it! Have now been to clinic and am on 20mg carbimazole and been asked to consider having radio- iodine.Don't know if is because of second bout but am feeling really tired and bad tempered. finding it hard to concentrate and head feels fuddled and " rushed" like am short circuiting! .(BZZZZ) Been off work for two weeks as have picked up a bug that has "floored" me .Am back in work in on Monday and panicking as was forgetting things and feel pressured as will be in the deep end when get back.
  • Posted

Hello Jane, I can sympathise with you: I too felt very bad-tempered and tired and could not concentrate at all. The feeling of anxiety I had was really awful: I'd panic at the slightest thing. It's better now that I'm on block and replace again.

To all those who've had RAI: as a matter of interest - did you get a standard dose or was it measured according to your weight?

Take care

• Posted

Hello stefania

At the hospital I went to they said they gave a set dose to everyone it was 400 but I think it depends on the hospital and they use diff doses

Jane are you on propranolol , I found

D they helped me a lot until my levels were back in range.

Take care Deb xx

• Posted

Hi everyone.

Hello Jane, welcome to the forum. It's hard work sometimes getting a blood test done, and it's even harder finding out what the results are. It's like the secret service. lol

If your thyroid flares up more than once they usually recommend a more permanent solution. I felt bad tempered too and very fidgety. I'm still fidgety and my bloods are in the normal range.Even now my mind just goes blank. I can be half way through saying something and it just goes. I hope you manage at work and feel better soon. I agree with Deb, Propranolol does help a lot.

Hi Stefania.I had 400 too. My endo said they'd done some tests and come to the conclusion that 400 worked just as well as a higher dose, so they gave that to everyone.

Hi Deb. I'm still dashing about. lol

Marigold

xxx

• Posted

Woah. Okay. For the past two days (including today), I have been having some SERIOUS flutters in my chest (on my heart side). They occur about every five or ten minutes constantly. Sometimes they make it hard to breathe. Is this normal? I've read that heart palpitations happen with this and to not worry about them, but this is insane. Should I be worried? This is crazy. I haven't changed my methimazole dosage or diet. I don't really want to go see my Primary Care Physician, because he's an idiot. My next endo appointment is for awhile. What do I do?
  • Posted

Hello everyone

Scott I still get that feeling now and again but not all day, it might be worth just getting a doctor to check you over even if it's just to put your mind at rest .

How's everyone doing ? Kat ,bess ,Sue where are you all

Take care Deb xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.