Overactive Thyroid Graves Part 4

Posted , 60 users are following.

We all have Graves Disease or overactive thyroid issues, most of us have been through RAI and are now on thyroxine.

10 likes, 1228 replies

1228 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi everyone ,HappyNewYear .

Lovely to hear from you marigold ,glad you enjoyed christmas with your family ,it was bedlam here taking ages for all the extra large pans come up to the boil and 2 large roasting tins full of roast potatoes ,i had to cook the stuffing and pigs in blankets first then warm them up with the roast parsnips ,so glad its over cheesygrin ..i am just glad they left it all tidy and hooverd when they went..

I see my endo on Tues ,my body definatly needs an increase such alot of symptoms again ,i think hes due for a telling off lol ,I just wish he would treat how i am feeling and not my numbers and its about time i was discharged ..10.5 is way tooooooooo low for me and another thing 2 weeks before christmas i orderd my armour with his secretary and i still havent got it rolleyes so i will be on the phone 9am tomorrow .Out of my xmas and birthday money i bought a mini ipad lol my grandson came and set it up and gave me a few lessons but anything new makes me feel sick eek yet i can do it on my daughters.

Bess how are you and did you have a nice xmas .Debs how are you .?

I have just had a bout of low sugar and had to eat that much chocolate biscuits to stop me shaking,now i dont feel like my tea lol

let you know what endo says on tues

bye for now

love sue xx

• Posted

Hello everyone.

Hi Sue. Just wondered how you got on with the endo hun, and whether you've got your armour sorted.

You had a busy time on Christmas day, it's hard work cooking for a lot of people. I'm pleased they tidied and hoovered before they went. You've got them well trained. lol Our son did the cooking, and everything was lovely.

We bought a tablet too. It's not an ipad, I can't remember what make it is. I'm getting the hang of it. Our granddaughter is only four and she knows more about it than me. lol I get in a bad temper when I can't get things to work.

I think my cold is finally going. I've been out today, the first time since Christmas Day.

Hope everyone is well.

love,

Marigold

xxxx

• Posted

Hi marigold ,i was just coming on to post when i saw your post,glad your colds nearly gone ,i was reading somewhere else and they asked why do all other ailments last longer or are worse when you have a thryoid condition.and its true ...I too am getting used to my ipad but i still like my laptop cheesygrin its seven years old now but its been a good one ,I was looking after my grandson last friday ,i went into my lean to to have a smoke with the windows open ,thinking he was sat drawing in the living room lol he stood behind me and said nana what are you doing faggin it in here cheesygrin you know its bad for you ..

that was nice your son cooking marigold bet you enjoyed it..

I went to see my endo and told him what symptoms i was having now and he said thats because my T3 is too high and T4 too low ,he said it could be the batch of armour and he dare not increase it because of my heart and bones and he doesnt want my T3 going any higher>>.what i have to do now is take this new batch now for 2 weeks then phone him if i feel better or still just the same .I asked him about givng me thyroxine to bring my T 4 up and he said yes but would have to reduce my armour ,i have got to the stage where i dont care whats he gives me lol ,he did explain when i went on armour that not all batches would be the same as some could have more T3 s than other batches or T4s .he wants me to have a blood test in 6 weeks for 9-00am cortisol vit d and d3 plus a few other things .the batch before this last one i was taking my breathing went better so i am hoping if he can get my levels where they should be i will feel sooooooooo much better.I have had a terrible time getting my prescription for this new batch of armour ,i phoned his secretary 3 weeks before xmas,endo went on leave not doing my prescription untill he came back the friday after xmas ,i phoned his secretary again and she said he had filled it in and she was taking down to the pharmacy for me and then they would get intouch with me . evil i waited and waited and no phone call so i had to phone them to see what was happening ,they said they hadnt got my prescription and didnt know anything about it ,by this time i had smoke coming down my snout,i was told they would phone me back later while they got to the bottem of it .Well the phone call came and i was promised it would be delivered to my doctors surgery between 10.30 and 11.30 today .the smoke was now turning to fire when i walked into the surgery and they new nothing about it and no tablets had arrived .They then rang the pharmacy for me to sort it out and after another 2 hours my tablets arrived . I was phuming marigold in future i will go the hospital and pick them up .

hope this sounds alright as i am so tired tonight

Hows everyone else Bess how are you hun xx

take care marigold love sue xx

• Posted

Hi Sue. What a carryon to get your tablets.Why can't people do what they say they're going to do?It's bad enough being ill without being messed about. I hadn't thought about the armour varying from one batch to another, but I suppose it will seeing as it's a natural substance. How much thyroxine has he put you on?

I like to use the computer rather than the tablet, it's a bit small and fiddly for me. I keep hitting the wrong key and then I lose everything I was looking at. mad It's ok for messing about with, but if I want to do something that's important I'm better on the computer.

Your grandson sounds a little character. He's like our grandson. I don't know where they got him from.He has a toy Dyson and when his mam or dad are using the Dyson he trots along beside them with his. He has the foot movement just right. and he looks so serious. : He has to know the far end of everything. His favourite words are 'what's that?'.

I'm feeling a lot better now. My cold has almost gone, just got a cough now.I've been so tired yet I couldn't sleep very well. Everything going round in my head. As it does. lol

Take care Sue.

How's everyone else doing?

love,

Marigold

xxx

• Posted

I feel like an ass. The only time I post on here is when I feel crappy!! I'm so sorry! I've got so much going on right now! As for an update on the heart flutters - the cardiologist put me on a treadmill and hooked me up to his computer. He said that my heart is strong, and there's nothing to worry about. He blames it all on the Graves. He scheduled me for a follow up a few weeks later (which I cancelled...why go back to him if he has already contributed the issue to my Graves?). My endo has decided to go in and to a full thyroidectomy next month. I don't know how I feel about that. She wants to take it out so that she can do a biopsy on it. She's concerned a couple of the nodules may be cancerous. I'm worried about being on the "other" meds for the rest of my life. But, if it makes me feel better, I'm for it. I just hope it doesn't make me feel worse. I really don't think I could handle that.

I hope everyone is having a great new year! I really enjoy reading your posts!

• Posted

Hi Scott. I was going to say it's good to hear from you, but if you only come on when you feel rough then it isn't good really is it? lol

I was told I had a good strong heart too, so when I get the flutters I tell myself there's nothing to worry about. It's just the Graves.

If the endo suspects that a couple of the nodules may be cancerous then the quicker it's dealt with the better. Once you've had the thyroidectomy and you're on the right dose of thyroxine for you then I'm sure you'll feel fine.This is the worst bit, once you get the right treatment you'll be on the road to recovery.

I hope you had a good Christmas, and I hope everything goes well for you.

Keep in touch and let us know how you are.

Marigoldx

• Posted

Hello All,

Well, I saw my endo man the other day and apparently my levels are at the right level now - I'm on 20mg Carbimazole twice a day and 50mg Eltroxin once a day. Feeling more or less ok, with the occasional day where I just do nit feel 'right'.

One thing that really bothers me, are my eyes - have thyroid eye disease with the Graves. They're not too bad during the day, as I have to use eye lubricants 3-4 times a day they are so dry. But when I wake up in the morning they are really painful to open. They do not bulge, so the eyelids close properly, but I have quite a bit of swelling and puffiness around them.

Does anyone else have this problem? I also take flaxseed oil capsules as these are said to help with dry eyes.

• Posted

Hello everyone.

Hi Stefania. I'm pleased your bloods are in the normal range now. biggrin

I've had thyroid eye disease for many years. I use artificial tears several times a day. I use them before I go to bed, and when I get up during the night to go to the loo if my eyes feel dry or sore I use them then. Then I put some more drops in as soon as I wake up. I find that helps.

I was referred to a thyroid eye clinic at a hospital which is quite a way from us, but they were very good. The took photos of my eyes as they bulge, and they said they'd be able to tell if they'd got worse if I went back at any time. My eyelids are very droopy, and they explained what could be done to make them look better, and also what could be done to remove some of the tissue behind my eyes that's making my eyes bulge.I don't think they're bad enough at the moment, but it's something to bear in mind for ther future if my eyes get worse.

Have you mentioned your eye problems to your endo? Do you think the flaxseed capsules do any good? I haven't tried them.

Marigold.

• Posted

Hello Marigold,

Many thanks for your comments.

My eyelids droop very slightly, but not much. I've tried three different types of artificial tears: Lacrilube at night, which I find very difficult to administer as it is so thick and gooey, Celluvisc drops and Vidisic, the latter is an easier softer version of Lacrilube. Despite using mostly Vidisic or Celluvisc, my eyes when opening in the morning are very painful, even just to put in some drops. Sometimes I feel like getting one of those sprays that one just sprays on to the whole eye, but my eye man advised against any commercial ones over the counter. May I ask, which drops you are using? And it's my right eye that is affected more, which is the one I had operated on for a cataract nearly 2 years ago. The endo man didn't say anything against the flax seed oil. It's all natual (omega 3,6 & 9) so it shouldn't do any harm anyway.

• Posted

Hi Stefania.It's my right eye that's the worst for some reason. It protrudes more than my left one.

I use Minims Artificial Tears.I get them on prescription. They're in individual doses, and they're very runny, just like water really. They're not gooey. I use them because I'm allergic to the preservative in some of the eye drops, and Minims don't have any preservative.

I think I'll try the flax seed oil. It's worth a go.

Marigold.

• Posted

Hello everyone

Finally my levels are all in range yessssss smile smile smile

It's now a year since I had rai .im being kept on 125 mgs of thyroxin for now and a blood test in three months , that will be the longest I've gone between blood tests in three years smile .

And I'm feeling well so everything is good at the moment .

I'm going out for a family meal at the weekend for my birthday .

So at last everything is looking up.

Glad to hear your colds cleared up marigold smile

I've got a iPad to and I love it, I don't use my laptop much as the iPad goes everywhere I go lol .

Take care

Deb xx

• Posted

Hello Debs,

Am delighted to hear that you are fine now!

Enjoy your family meal out and have a wonderful birthday!

As a matter of interest, did the RAI affect your eyes in any way?

Take care,

Stefania

• Posted

Hello stefania

Thank you smile

I just felt like I had got grit in my eyes now and again, nothing bad.

Are you having the rai

Deb xx

• Posted

Hello Deb,

No, I'm having 'block and replace' second time around.

Am terrified of swallowing something radioactive!!!!

Stefania xx

• Posted

Hi Deb. That's really good news. biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin You got there in the end.

I hope you have a lovely birthday, and enjoy your meal at the weekend.

Marigold

xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.