Overactive thyroid menopause and Soya

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm currently on carbimazole 5mg (take one 1 day 2 the next) I'm also experiencing my menopause which I'm reluctant to take HRT for, I was looking into natural ways to ease the symptoms and increase my memory because ATM is unbelivably shocking! A lot of things state that Soya is fantastic for menopause however on the other hand Soya is apparently not good for thyroid problems and can affect the way the body absorbs the thyroid medication, does anyone have any experience or advice on this? I would like to feel like me again but with the symptoms of the menopause and the side effects of the carbimazole I don't even know who I am anymore 😢 TIA xx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I use Bioidentical hormone replacement made up in a Compounding Pharmacy.  Still requires a doc's prescription though.

• Posted

Hi Louise

Sorry you're feeling so bad ..

I was told for several years I was menopausal .. I sweated profusely every hour of every day ... hair falling out ( everywhere ) non stop bleeding for over a year ... and many many more symptoms too ...

what a load of rubbish .. theee times I was tested for thyroid disease and theee times .. normal ... fourth time I was on the verge of thyroid storm and was diagnosed with Graves' disease .. after being put on 20mg if Carbimazole ... most of my symptoms stopped .. I wasn't menopausal ..

I had a serious thyroid disease ...

I went from 20 MG to 10mg .. then 5mg

And now I'm Euthyroid .. thank God

And guess what .. the ' menopause

Symptoms ' went too !!!

Doctors !

My awful thyroid symptoms may well gave resembled the menopause .. but with a caring GP it could have been discovered

Actually I was attending a private appt with a Dermatologust because of the dreadful itch I had all over my body ..

when she said ...

You're NOT MENOPAUSAL YOU HAVE A THYROID DISEASE !!!

Maybe given you're in a low dose of Carbimazole

You're 'menopausal ' symptoms will

Disappear too.. let's hope so

Good luck with your treatment

Keep at it ..

Luv mx🌹

• Posted

Hi thank you for your reply, I have however had a blood test to confirm menopause so I know that's what it is, I've had thyroid issues since 2001 so I know if my levels are up or down and the symptoms I'm getting.

My concerns are mostly if Soya affects thyroid medication, as I've read if you have thyroid issues you shouldn't drink Soya milk or eat Soya products

• Posted

well .... I'm not an expert ... but I stay well away from it ..

why not try some natural supplements for menopause ...  go onto their site and see what the consensus of opinion is there ..

mx🌹

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.