Overdosing on paracetamol

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been suffering with a dental abscess since the new year and have been undergoing root canal treatment. The infection keeps flaring up and this weekend it really flared up. I was in agony. Was taking 2 solpadeine max (12.5mg codeine phosphate, 500mg paracetamol) every 4 hours with 400mg ibuprofen. Sunday i ended up at A&E and was prescribed co-codamol (30/500) of which i was taking 2 every 4 hours (maybe even 3 hours between) along with naproxen. Had tooth removed on monday and itis now Thurs and so since sunday i have been taking at least 10 tablets of the cocodamol with ibuprofen each time (plus antibiotics).

Having stomach cramps today (though i did take a laxative yesterday to get things moving after the codeine).

I dont drink alcohol at all.

Should I go speak to GP?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Stacey. I think so. You sound like me. I just took ibuprofen and codeine to deal with shoulder pain and I ended up hooked. It doesn't take long. I am not a medical professional but, if you're worried, you should be honest with your doctor. Be persistent because, in my experience, they do not always take it seriously. You need a plan before you get more seriously hooked. Hope that helps x
    • Posted

I am sure I am hooked, I have been taking OTC codeine pills since Uni and that was 12 years ago for migraines (which are now cediene headaches). Syndol (until they took the muscle relaxant out) and now solpadeine max. I never go over the 2 tabs a time and usually really good with waiting the 4 hours and only 8 in any one day. But these last few days have been hell. Im just worried ive done my liver some damage now. Thanks Drew 
    • Posted

I really understand Stacey. As the addiction progresses, we risk damaging vital organs. My stomach sometimes kills me but it doesn't stop me taking the NF. I use laxatives, in fact, anything to try and overcome stomach problems. I am trying to quit now before I do real damage. You should go to your doctor and be really honest. There's no shame in doing that...Drew x
    • Posted

Yes, good luck. It's time to get your life back Stacey. Let us know how you get on x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.