Overian Cyst and birth control

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I am 32 years old. I had a huge tumor removed 2 years ago along with one of my overies. my doctor recommnded that I take birth control pills (I am not sexually active at all) in order to prevent Ovulation. He said that this would prevent another tumor from developing. 2 weeks ago I forgot to take a pill for 2 days in a row and started bleeding (not spotting). I havn't stopped since. Is this normal?

Also, I had to see another doctor as my doctor is no longer working and the new doctor says I should stop taking the pills as they cannot stop another tumor from happening. Has anyone come across any of these recomendations? 

Is there anyone here who can help me? I am having a very hard time with this.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I've heard it but I think there are mixed views between medical practitioners out there. I was on the pill when mine grew and that got to 30cm so it sure didn't work then x

• Posted

The birth control pill can only stop new functional cysts (follicle and luteal) to form. It has no effect on existing bigger cysts

and it does absolutely nothing to any benign or malignous growth of cells.

You cannot prevent another tumor (e.g. dermoid cyst is a tumor, not just a liquid filled blob) with the birth control pill.

We take the bc pill to avoid formation of bigger hemorrhagic functional luteal cysts (that hurt upon rupture) and painful menstruation. But we know it will not prevent anything else.

All the best!

• Posted

The kind of cyst I had is a Cystadenoma (contain ovarian tissue with fluid or mucus). What are the chances of me developing another one in the other overy? Is there anything I can do to prevent another one?
    • Posted

Ah, the good old cystadenoma.

I am pretty sure yours was benign, but it is a tumor (cells) with cysts, not a functional cyst gone wrong.

The birth control pill shall hence not work preventatively.

(I still love the bc pill for other symptom relief when one has painful menstruations, ovulations)

As to prevention, I have no experience at all.

You did look in internet, too, didn't you, there is nothing more than

'stay healthy' 'healthy diet' 'don't be overweight' stated it seems.

I found an old article and that is where your advice maybe came from:

"Prevention of ovarian cystomas by inhibition of ovulation: a new concept." 1978.

I seems, that it was believed and trialed to prevent cystadenomas with contraception pill, but experienced now, that it was not helpful.

So I can't blame your first doc (he might be older age) to have meant well and put you on the contraception pill for that reason.

At least it does not increase the risk for cystadenomas.

I hope your new doc has some experience with cystadenomas, prevalence, reoccurence, prevention - if existed.

Please, please dig his brain!

All the best!!!

• Posted

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and explain these things to me. My tumor was benign thank god...

I'm very suprised about all of this! I went to 4 diffrent gynachologists,one of them being the head of the department in the hospital who also did the operation) and they all said that I should continue taking the pill untill I start having kids. I actually asked 2 of them if I could stop and they said it's not a good idea. I don't get this at all! I was sure that I can prevent this from happening again...

I even had to switch pills 4 time b/c the side affects were making me sick. I hated taking them but I'm too scared to top taking them now b/c it was pounded into my brain that I have to...

I guess I'll go to the next gyne with all this info and see what he says.

Thanks for your help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.