Overly Optimistic?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I am about 5 weeks along with my fractured ankle (no surgery). I had a splint for about 10 days and I am now in my second cast. Saw my doc last week and he said my bone was healing well. 

I can easily wiggle my toes and move my heel up and down in the cast. I am sure it will hurt once I can start putting weight on it, but I am thinking because everything feels fine I should be able to get back to normal ( aside from swelling and tiredness) within the next few weeks.  Am I being overly optimistic?  Could it be more about getting used to being in  cast than actually healing?  If I get to have a walking cast and a referral to physio at my next d9c visit, what can I expect from the next stages of recovery.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. I had a broken Fibula and after 5 and half weeks took my cast off... I am starting to put weight on but you'll be suprised at how much your body doesn't let you put weight on it... it takes a good few days to put full weight on and after that the pain is similar to when you first broke it. I've been told no work for the first 2 weeks of being weight bearing... 

• Posted

Sorry to hear you've had to join us on here!! Glad to hear that you haven't had to go through surgery. Your recovery should be faster than mine, but still hard work trying to get your brain to do what you want it to do but pain tells you something different!! 😢 I'm 5 1/2 months down the line. After dislocation and brakes on both sides of ankle. With surgery plates and screws both sides. Horrid. Still not able to walk without a very bad limp pain and swelling. Just about had enough. Now. Here's hoping your recovery goes well. Just remember if it hurts STOP rest and give it another go later. Don't forget to elevate as much as possible. Good luck. Sx

• Posted

Ouch. I am sorry to hear that your ankle was so badly damaged.  I consider myself fortunate and hope you recover fully in record Time! 
  • Posted

Hi Zelda,

Good to see you back here on the forum.

Glad to hear you are doing so well in a cast (I wonder why your doc doesn't put you in a CAM boot instead-- it is much more convenient than a cast).

Predicting your progress in moving to weight-bearing is difficult (way too many different variables at play for each of us) but I would expect that since you avoided surgery (like I did) that your recovery will be faster and have fewer complications than the many unfortunate patients that suffered after effects of surgery.

Just take it one day at a time-- you will do just fine.

Don't be afraid of any pain that might be coming when you transition to weight-bearing and walking. Pain is our friend because it is our body's way of telling us to attend properly to our injuries.

Please try to absorb good advice (it will be good advice if it resonates with you and your common sense) on this forum. Learn from our mistakes and misadventures so your journey is smoother.

• Posted

Thanks kpower...I  am hoping thar when I see the doc next week I will get one of those boots. I am anxious to start trying to walk, but yes  I am somewhat  fearful as well. I am the type of person that wants to know what to expect so that I can prepare. What I can't for the life of me figure out is partial weight bearing...it just doesn't compute...I am checking out YouTube videos on how to do that with a walker... 

• Posted

Hi Zelda,

Partial weight bearing is more of an art than an exact science.

To get a feel for 50% weight bearing, stand evenly on both feet-- each foot is bearing 50% of your body weight. 25% weight bearing would be harder to gauge, so you have to estimate.

When I was walking at 50% with crutches, I estimated it based on how I felt standing on both feet. I'm sure I goofed at times and went to higher weight on injured foot, but I didn't worry because I was in the moon boot (that gives you some safety latitude in guesswork).

If you have doubts, engage the services of a competent physiotherapist who can coach you on partial weight training.

Don't forget the evenup shoe balancer.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.