Overmedicated antithyroid medication or undermedicated 300 mg PTU

Posted , 3 users are following.

1 JULY 2015 thyroid blood test results :freet3hormone level 7.66(3.6-6.5 ) nhs united kingdom freet4 hormone level :14.4 (9-19.1) tsh : 0.01 (0.35-4.94) 2 september 2015 :freet3 hormone level :8.63 free t4 hormone level 16.2(12-22) 13 january 2016 :t3 9.30(3.1-6.8)t4: 14.2(12-22)tsh level :0.01 (0.27-4.2) i didnt feel very well february 2016 suddenly anxiety hit me i went to hospital 17 march 2016 blood test results :freet3 hormone level :11.86pmol/L (3.1-6.8)nhs united kingdom freet4 hormone level :19.8(12-22) tsh stiil was 0.01 my GP said reduce your antithyroid medication 300 mg >>>>>> 150 mg ptu a day next blood test results :28 june 2016 tsh 0.01 freet4: 16.4(16-22)freet3 hormone level 8.01 (3.1-6.8) nhs united kingdom next blood test results 19 august 2016 :freet3:5.67pmol/L freet4 10.0pmol/L TSH :0.01 (0.27-4.5)my freet3 going down but tsh was 0.01 next blood test results 14 december 2016 freet3 :4.99pmol/L (3.1-6.8)freet4: 13.0pmol/L (11-23) tsh level was up 0.30 (0.27-4.5) i was so happy my thyroid level normal but endocronologist said its not normal you still have graves disease my GP said normal reduce antithyroid medication was help and my tsh was up

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I don't know much about PTU other than it is given to pregnant women if they are hyperthyroid or to people who have a bad reaction to Carbimazole or Methimazole for treatment of hyperthyroidism. When I was first diagnosed with Graves, I was started on 10 mg of Methimazole. My Free T3 and Free T4 immediately fell to the middle of the normal range but my TSH remained at less than 0.001 for two years while I remained on this dose. Then I did some research and came across an article in a prominent medical journal on the use of 3,000 mg of L-Carntine with hyperthyroid patients. The article did not say that this was used instead of medication so I asked my boss, a Genetic Metabolic physician about it and he said, "Well it won't hurt you" so I took 3,000 mg of Regular L-Carnitine in addition to my meds. First, though I got tested for my carnitine level and found I was deficient. I always do this, that is get tested for my levels, before I take any vitamin or mineral supplements. I later learned that hyperthyroid patients lose most of their vitamins and minerals when they run hyperthyroid and these should be tested and replaced. My TSH rose for the first time in 2 years from less than 0.001 to 0.12 after I started the carnitine. I then tried a different type of carnitine and my TSH just shot right up into the normal range. I found out I was deficient in vitamin D and Magnesium so added these supplements to my treatment plan. I was diagnosed with Graves in 2007, started the supplements in 2009 and as my lab levels improved, my Endo, bless him, slowly decreased my Methimazole dosage and I took responsibility for adjusting my supplement dosages. We did this for the next 9 years so I was on a very low dosage of Methimazole, my final dosage being 2.5 mg every other day and during 2017, I had stopped my carnitine altogether. In January of 2018 my Endo discontinued my Methimazole because my antibodies were then non-existent and I have remained in the normal range since then. However, in February of 2019 I felt cardiac symptoms again when I was undergoing a stressful event and asked to be tested and my TSH had fallen from 1.5 to 0.70, still in the normal range but my symptoms made me feel I wanted to do something because it was going in the wrong direction, My Endo surprisingly told me to not take meds but to go back on the Carnitine. I did so and my TSH has risen once again to 1.00.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.