Overmedicated Hypothyroidism

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello! I've been on levothryoxine for over a decade.

I went from 75mg last year to 50mg late last year. I was eating at the 30 minute mark but my Doctor recommended I wait the full hour. Since then: I have been feeling subtle things, like: forgetfulness, change in heart rhythm, dry hair and skin, etc.

Suddenly 2 weeks ago I started getting vertigo and a raced heart. I called the Doctor and he reduced my dose to 25mg. Thereafter I have been to the Emergency Room with a heart of 130. I am now on a beta blocker.

It has been a week since I reduced my levothyroxine, and I was wondering how long it has been for anyone else between med reduction and heart normality?

Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi there, can I ask why your Levo was reduced? Do you have any recent blood test results for TSH/T4/T3 ?

• Edited

My TSH came in at 0.52, I can't recall the others. I started with Vertigo and high pulse 😦. Just a few months ago my TSH had been 2+. After my new symptoms I tested it again and got that 0.52

• Posted

TSH is only part of the story, you need at least T4 and preferably T3 as well. You can get your results from your Doctors surgery, the receptionist will give them over the phone.

• Posted

I guess my question would be: have you discontinued any medications or started any new medications within that 3 month time period?

Another thought is; after you reduced your dose from 75 to 50, those subtle symptoms of forgetfulness, dry hair and skin can actually be caused by low thyroid levels.

Although it's hard to tell the difference in hyper and hypo symptoms by how we feel.

Labs help us determine what our status is.

Also, age and hormones are a factor in thyroid dosing.

• Posted

I guess my question would be: have you discontinued any medications or started any new medications within that 3 month time period?

Another thought is; after you reduced your dose from 75 to 50, those subtle symptoms of forgetfulness, dry hair and skin can actually be caused by low thyroid levels.

Although it's hard to tell the difference in hyper and hypo symptoms by how we feel.

Labs help us determine what our status is.

Also, age and hormones are a factor in thyroid dosing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.