Overmedicated Hypothyroidism or Graves?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

Bit of a long story here so thank you to anyone who is able to take the time to read/comment.

After a number of chest infections last year, my GP ordered bloods and my TSH came back slightly elevated - it was 8.4. When I went to discuss this with the GP he started to medicate me as I was symptomatic - always cold, always tired etc. In June, they tested Se thyroid peroxidase. My levels for this were 440. By this point, after having 25mg of levothyroxine a day my tsh had come down to 2.55 and t4 was 14.

This year (March) I started to feel unwell quite suddenly. I was short of breath and put this down to my asthma. Saw the emergency GP who issued me with steroids. I then saw another GP who gave me antibiotics for a chest infection. In both appointments, my heart was racing and I was becoming increasingly anxious. The next week, I thought I had a water infection as I couldn't stop going for a wee and had lower back pain. Was again sent to the emergency dr who said my water was clear but prescribed antibiotics. The following night, my lips, mouth and throat started burning about 30 mins after taking antibiotics. I saw another dr the next morning who told me to stop taking them and put it all down to anxiety - heart still racing. Fast forward to the next week (wb 25.03.19) and my heart was still racing - it wasn't above 120bpm but was faster than usual and made me feel uncomfortable. I saw a different GP and he said I was highly anxious and prescribed anti-depressants. I asked for bloods to be done to check my thyroid. Low and behold, my TSH was 0.05 and FT4 was 33. Saw a different GP a few days later who told me to stop taking levo and to not take any more anti-depressant.

I've not had levo now for 12 days and I am absolutely exhausted. I've read about Hashimoto flare ups and assumed it was one of these that had caused me to be over medicated but someone has since mentioned that perhaps my auto immune disease is graves instead. Also, just when my heart had stopped racing as much, it has raced a lot today. I don't know if this is because I am anxious about seeing the GP tomorrow for my review and potentially going back to work on Wednesday.

Has anyone else experienced similar? How long did it take for you to feel better again?

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

yes, I've had similar problems. I have hashimoto's also. I had tried natural thyroid medication and had chest pain and sob. I switched back to levothyroxine and had the dose increased. I ended up with hyperthyoid symptoms which included racing heart and chest pain, weakness, anxiety, insomnia among other things. I had stopped the levo at that time to try to level out. it was assumed I was overmedicated or having a flare of some type. anyway I felt terrible without any levo so have been gradually increasing my dose now that the hyper symptoms are gone. it took a few months to stabilize out and i am now at a lower dose than previous. the hyper symptoms are terrible, I hope I never have to go through that again. oh, I was also put on an antidepressant which didn't really change anything but I tried it for 5 months. depression seems to be the typical thing the doctor goes to when something can't be explained.

• Posted

thank you so much for replying to me. I have felt like I must be going mad. With only being diagnosed last year this is the first problem I've had since being medicated. I know that I am lucky that it was caught early. I am seeing the GP again today but I don't know what she will say. I should be back at work tomorrow but I don't know how I will teach feeling like this. I was only on 25mg a day so that is probably why she has told me to stop taking it altogether. I am just so tired but then this week my heart has been going faster than usual again. I suppose that could be anxiousness about going to the GP today and back to work. x

• Posted

I ended up taking a month off from work because I felt like crap and absolutely no energy. anything with the thyroid takes a long time to straighten out or adjust to med changes. best wishes to you

• Posted

Hi louise29180, Graves disease is characterized by the presence of TSH receptor antibodies. A subgroup of these kind of antibodies (TSI, thyroid stimulating immunoglobulins) activate the thyroid in an uncontrolled manner and can cause hyperthyroidism.

Hashimotos thyroiditis is characterized by the presence of TPO antibodies. These have the capacity to damage the thyroid gland itself causing inflammation and swelling. Damaged thyroid cells may leak thyroid hormones into the blood stream causing (transient) hyperthyroidism. Some Hashimotos patients may oscillate between overactive and underactive phases but most patients eventually end up permanently hypothyroid.

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying. They tested thyroid peroxidase so I think that is TPO. x

• Posted

Hi Nadia.

i ended up being referred to the endocrine who took me off meds altogether. he said I had thyroiditis which had cleared up and mu thyroid was working again. He wanted to monitor my bloods every four months and last time (January) my tsh was raised and I was having lots of hypo symptoms so back on the levo again now.

• Posted

One of the symptoms of antibiotics are heart rate issues, when taking them. This is why the doctor usually does not give out too much dosages of antibiotics. Its also to note that antibiotics are medications that work for the moment depending on how severe and far the infection has gone into the system.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.