overmedicated on thyroid med.

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi everyone

i have Graves disease and had my thyroid totally removed in 2015 everything went good but now 3 years later Im over medicated was on 150mg until july this year when my doctor told me i was over medicated and to STOP talking my medication for 6 Days and start a lower dose the following week so i did and the following week i started 125mg then when back to doctors six weeks later and was STILL over medicated so dr. said STOP medication again for 5 days this time and start new lower dose 100mg the following week so i did that AGAIN now waiting to see if still over medicated dont go back to dr until nov . Also having chest pains muscle weakness moody cant sleep at night headache body ache NO energy and eye pain

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

also always heard not to stop thyroid medication has anyone heard that or has anyones dr told them to stop thyroid med. for a few days or a week please help so confused my P.A keeps telling me to stop medication . (i dont see any other dr just my PA)

• Posted

Hi, as a hypothyroid patient you were probably told to regularly take your thyroxine dose without fail. This is to maintain a constant level of thyroxine in your bloodstream.

However on this occasion you are hyperthyroid and your doctor wants to bring down your thyroxine level. Thyroxine has a half-life of about 5-7 days in your blood stream. Also, only tiny amounts of thyroxine are actually free (and usable). The rest is bound to special proteins. Your doctor is just following guidelines and it would help if you comply with his recommendations as it will bring down your thyroxine level faster.

Regarding your thyroidectomy, it is very difficult to remove all thyroid tissue. Surgeons usually try to inflict as little damage as possible to the parathyroid glands that are attached to the thyroid. A study has found that thyroid tissue can remain even after a total thyroidectomy.

(Thyroid tissue remnants after "total thyroidectomy", 2009)

If the trend of your thyroxine requirement continues, a further investigation could be an ultrasound to check your thyroid volume.

• Posted

hi

yes i have already had ultrasound and it was great also went to E.N.T he said he couldnt find anything now waiting on more referrals Also i do what dr says but just worried my mom had hypothyroid and she ever got her back in range and she went into a coma and passed away . at the age of 47

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.