Overmedicated on Thyroid Medication and Fungal Folliculitis Skin Issues

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello,

I was overmedicated on thyroid medication for quite some time, estimated 1.5 years. I felt HORRIBLE as you can imagine. Heart palpitations, insomnia, weight loss, hair loss, etc. One of the lasting effects from this mess has been how disrupted my skin has become. At the peak of my symptoms I had horrible fungal malassezia folliculitis all over my face, neck, back and chest. A few bouts of oral antifungals would clear it up but it always comes back. Nothing topical even makes a dent with this. I do have a history of struggling with fungal folliculitis but it was well managed for years with the help of spironolactone (fun fact: not only is spiro an antiandrogen, but it also decreases free fatty acids in the blood which is a food source for malassezia). I use all fungal safe products. While the face and neck have slowly cleared up as my thyroid levels out, I can't for the life of me understand how to clear up my chest and back. I've read hyperthyroidism increases circulating free fatty acids but I thought with my dose leveled out I'd see better resolve. Any studies and articles I can find about chronic folliculitis suggests food allergies or endocrine disruptions. I've done an elimination diet and am currently gluten, soy and nut free. I was dairy free forever but gave that up since there was no effects. I am wondering if anyone else struggled a great deal with skin issues from being overmedicated or if experiencing Graves disease?Any experience or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.