Overmedicated thyroid???!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Several months ago my doctor increased my generic levothyroxine 50mcg to 75mcg. Levels were in range but on the low end. Then they decided to switch me to Synthroid, saying I may be able to absorb it better..( more potent?) so i was on that for 7 weeks, I was feeling better... not needing to sleep so much ( 10-12 hrs i was and still tired ) i started exercising 3-5x a week, biking and then more cardio once i got home and strength workouts ( light weights, squats etc)- TSH around 2, but my T3 was 2.3... still kinda low... so they increased it to 88mcg. 2 weeks later- first signs of chest pain. lowered back to 75. Symptoms got way worse... horrible panic attacks,- heart rate went up to 135 just from waking up from a nap! went to ER everything was fine.. happened again and went to ER 3 more times.. had they checked thyroid levels each time and said it's fine because I'm in range. but my tsh went from 2- 0.59 in about 1 month!? How is that fine? I feel like they changed everything to quickly....i had red flushing in my face, horrible anxiety and panic attacks... thyroid felt like it was so inflamed and swelling, nauseous, couldn't sleep for about a week and was also constipated, shaking tremors going out of my mind and I thought I was dying! I was so desperate I went to the psych unit at the hospital and they prescribe me Klonopin so I could go to sleep. they lured me back down to the original dos I was on and back on generic levothyroxine 50 micrograms. symptoms have gotten a lot better but I am far from normal, I have this weird feeling still in my thyroid like it's tightening up and my heart rate is still elevated. my resting heart rate was always in the 60s and now it's in the 80s sometimes 90s. And when I stand up it goes up to 120. today it went up to 1 30 just from going into the kitchen and continue to go up to the 140s and even 150. I find the more I move around and try to do the worse my heart rate gets and I have chest tightness can anyone help me please!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I feel for you..as i been there done that...some times it takes quite a while for labs to show the hormones are too high.. I went through everything you are going through, at 3months on the same dose my tsh was still 2.79 then slammed down to near 0...for 2 of those 3months i told them it was too high,.. Tremors, fast heart rate, sweats, no sleep,weight loss, tight throat, and nervousness off the charts...

Since my tsh was .29 they said it was ok.... Well it wasnt ok for me.. I cut the dose back to wear i last felt good and it took around 8 weeks for everything to settle.. My rhr is now 64 instead of 92 ( which they also said the 92 rhr was normal)..

As far deaing with the heart rate increase with any movement, i spent a lot of time laying around waiting for it to pass..i take Synthroid.

A wise person told me to pay attention to how i felt instead of just lab results,if your meds aren't to high the over medicated symptoms you are experiencing should dwindle and leave. Hang in there..

• Posted

thank you so much for reaching out to me! im sorry you had sent through that- I'm sorry for anyone who has gone through it or going through this....it really is horrible...i even feel like i was fighting for my life at one point ( so scary ) im glad you had cut the dose back ( I'm guessing you had to do that yourself, or did the Doctors? ) and now you are feeling better yes,? Back to normal? I do want to feel back to normal! Even if i was tired most of the time... i rather that then this! my rhr when i woke up today was 101! I'm taking my Levothyroxine WITH food! i don't want to absorb that stuff right now- i just want to do the right thing and take it every day ,( yes this dose of f 50mcg was when i last felt normal ) i was tired, but normal...as normal as it gets anyway lol its so frustrating that the doctors won't take any responsibility for this... either they're just not educated enough, or they don't want to be liable? like we trust them to do what's right but instead we go through hell and all they can do is say it must be my anxiety because bloodwork is normal.... yes i agree with you that we know our bodies and can't just go by the numbers alone. Its really hard because even my husband thinks it's just my anxiety and Everytime my heart rate goes up he wants me to take a Klonopin! So I have to pretend I'm ok, when I'm not. Going to see a psychiatrist today- i will try and explain all of this to her and hopefully she believes me. .i feel like no one believes me which besides the actual symptoms of going through this hell is part of the nightmare 😦.Thanks again for reaching out to me- just to have someone who understands means so much to me and i now have a different sense of gratitude for life, for people and having more compassion ( ive always been very sensitive and compassionate as an empath ) but i have even more- even for the nasty people out there that seem like jerks- they are miserable for a reason and I feel for them because you NEVER know what someone is going through! Sorry i know i went off on a tangent, but this has really humbled me and is changing my perspective. Thanks again, any advice ican get right now is comforting

• Posted

Hey Sarah, I'm currently going through the same thing. Did you get better and how long did it take? I'm over three weeks into a lower dose that i originally was on. I'm still experiencing the anxiety and fatigue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.