Overreactions to minor troubles (I have Grave's)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm just in need of some support. I have been so out of control today that I have left the room 5 times to go and calm down when my kids have been acting out. Or...were they acting out? I feel I'm overreacting to things I would normally just brush off. I've had bad tremors/vibrations (or what to call it when the hands and feet shake...I feel it through my entire body) today, I've felt a couple of times as if I've been hit in the heart and I just feel anxious, sad and miserable. Really sad.

I got my latest blood results yesterday and they showed that the medication of 30mg carbimazole/day was not working so my dose is up to 40 mg. In a sense I was relieved to hear it because it meant I was not imagining still having all the symptoms. But it also worries me a lot, maybe my worrying is what is throwing me so extra out of balance today.

I have done a lot to reduce stress, I've even cut down my working hours. But I do have a home to run and two boys aged 2 and 5. The homekeeping does not stress me that much as I handle dustbunnies, and toys everywhere and a stack of unfolded laundry quite well. Just normal things that will be vaacumed, picked up and folded... But when my kids argue, play really loud or do the opposite of what I am asking them - it drives me crazy in a split second. So, I find myself starting to yell at them and that's when I just leave the room. I seem to have lost the capacity of talking them through things, now I just yell immediately. This is making me tremendously sad and today I've felt powerless against this disease.

Thanks for letting me get this out there. I just needed to tell someone who might understand.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Astra,

You might be interested in a book or DVD called 1-2-3 Magic. I work at a Pediatric Hospital and they sell the book in the Gift Shop. The company, 1-2-3 Magic is also online and offers a DVD along with the book. It is a great training for the positive parenting of children and teaching them respect and helping them to grow. It involves counting and time outs but also a lot of positive reinforcement.

It will also help reduce stress for you and make you feel empowered. Your children will love you for it.

Linda

• Posted

Hi Astra,

Sorry you are having such a difficult time. I can totally relate to how you are feeling. I

I have Graves and first had symptoms last june. I have 2 children aged 6 and 9 - so older than yours I know, but the summer holidays were a nightmare. I was the same, i found the noise they made absolutely unbearable, and had zero patience if they "didn't do as they were told". So I too would scream and shout at them. My poor 6 year old i remember shouting at him because he wasn't writing quickly enough.

And to be honest, my children are really well behaved, it wasn't about their behaviour management, it was mine.

However, please be reassurred, it will get better! Your blood levels will become more stable with treatment (it takes a while) but just get as much support as you can from friends and family if possible in the meantime. Keep telling your children you love them and mummy is poorly, so lots of reassurance that it's not them. Everything else you are doing sounds perfect, so good luck, and hang in there.

Looby x

• Posted

Totally understand. I get very moody and very snappy I also let silly little things cause a massive problem. With my personality being the total opposite this is what gives me the anxiety & stress because I know its the thyroid problem causing me to act how I don't usually act. I look back at arguments & situations where I made a mountain out of a mole hill and feel embarrassed and somewhat upset. I'm 23 years old and now worrying if its not a thyroid problem first diagnosed or if its graves disease.
  • Posted

Hi hun.... I have felt exactly the same. I do ' reiki' regularly this has really helped x do some research on it it might be for u x good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.