Overseas travel after ablation?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I was cardioverted for the third time this year about three weeks ago!

Late last year I began making plans for a family holiday to Bali to celebrate my 50th birthday (I live in Australia, so not that big a journey).

Because of these 3 cardioversions since mid January, I have now been booked in for an ablation on the 20th of April and have had to postpone/cancel this holiday.

im just wondering now about future over travel?

How long have people waited before travelling overseas after their ablation procedures?

Has getting travel insurance that doesn't mean xclude cardiac conditions been possible for anyone, if so how long do you need to wait after the procedure.

My wife is extremely nervous about us travelling overseas now, and is really concerned about me ending in an Indonesian hospital with an enormous medical bill!

Any feedback/opinions others would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

SimonĀ 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I would be curious about this anwer too. Ever since I found out about having afib I travel close to home when I do..so nervous about it all.
  • Posted

It depends on the outcome of your ablation. Your doctor/consultant will tell you when it's safe to travel.
    • Posted

Of course you're right Marco. But I suspect that the cardiologists opinion of when it it be ok for overseas travel will differ quite a bit to the travel insurance company's opinion.

My inquiries so far are indicating that I need to have 12 months or more of no unexpected hospital admissions, before I could get travel insurance that covered me for any cardiac issues

• Posted

12 months seems a bit extreme but insurers are going to play safe so why not put off your 50th celebration for a year.

I have PAFib and would not go anywhere without travel insurance.

• Posted

I wouldn't go anywhere with PAF..always get insurance...and even if I did not have that I would get insurance. You never know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.