Overthinking deprives me from sleep. What should i do?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I cannot help myself but to think the whole night all the taks I need to complete for this whole month. Unknowingly, I cannot manage myself to get enough sleep eventhough I am very tired the whole day. I have so many back jobs and I tried to work it double time but I cannot rest myself because I can't sleep. I think I already have insomnia now. Can you please share your thoughts?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi try bathing in epsom bath salts an hour be 4 u go to bed they heip u relax and hopefully u will get some sleep. If not go to docs who will most likely put you on low dose of amtrypline. But see how u get on with the saits b4 taking any medication. All the best
  • Posted

You have a problem that is now very common in the society of today, if that's any consolation to you. You need to consult a doctor and/or psychologist to determine what's the best way forward for you.

• Posted

Yeah a bath isn't going to stop racing thoughts...

Nor is exercise or diet unfortunately. I have an appointment with a Hypnotherapist this week, apparently this and counselling is the only way to beat an overactive mind.

I'll let you know how I get on. I go 3/4 days without sleep almost every week and have done everything in my power to cure myself to no avail.

• Posted

Eventhough I have a tough day, I still cannot manage to go to sleep. My husband told me to drink some sleeping pills. Maybe i should take his advice.

​I think I also need to visit a doctor and will also set up my appointment this week to finally resolve my issue. Thank you for all your advices.

• Posted

Hi Mary Charice, first, I want to tell you that I hear you, and you are not alone! It is hard to be up all night with your brain set on 'Worry Mode'. I have been, I used to be an insomniac (for over 15 years). Now I am sleeping very well, so here are some tips you can do to help you sleep better:

1. Relaxing your mind

-Meditation is very helpful and has been proven to help the mind settle down and prepare for sleep, as well as more restful sleep. I recommend Mindfulness of Breathing meditation, and I recomend learning with a real teacher (not yuotube video, though you can start there). That's a 'long-term' commitment

-To help on the short-term, ie when you wake up at night: have a notebook and write the tasks that are worrying you. It is a great way to tell the mind 'it is ok, this will be taken care of in the morning', and is relaxing.

-You can also do 'stream of consciousness' writing before going to bed (write everything that comes to mind, and don't stop writing until you have gone through at least 3 pages - check out Julia Cameron's Morning Pages: she recommends to but do them in the morning but you can do them in the evening)

2. Your digestion

-Our digestion can prevent us from sleeping/wake us up. I don't know how you eat so here are broad recommendations: Make sure that what you eat is easily digestible: avoid red meat, and also AVOID eating raw. Raw food, such as salads, is extremely difficult to digest, and in the evenings our digestive track is tired and can not do its digestive job very well. If you eat food that is dificult to digest you will struggle to fall asleep or are likely to wake up. The best is a light dinner of cooked vegetable (ie soup) 3 hours before going to sleep (I know, not easy but worth itbiggrin

3. Treat your anxiety

Insomnia and anxiety are often linked and are self perpetuating problems. I should know. It took me a severe panic attack +losing my hair to finally accept to see a therapist and take antidepressants. Antidepressants can affect REM sleep negatively but have been proven to help with onset insomnia. I took them for 4 months and they were a magical crutch to heal my insomnia - along with dedicated work with a therapist.

Hope that helps.

Please let us know how you cope and know that you are not alone!

Gaelle

• Posted

I've only just seen this thread. Very helpful post. So pleased you're sleeping has improved. I suffer from GAD, plus health anxiety. I've always been a bad sleeper, but after several months of anxiety, I'm  worse than ever. My GP prescribed me sentraline, but I haven't taking them ,as I don't want an addiction problem . I'm now thinking of trying them as I have no quality of life at the moment. Just trying to keep my head above water. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.