Overthinking it???

Posted , 8 users are following.

I suffer with anxiety and having a bad spell of it at the mo. But never before have I had this feeling like something is stuck in my throat. It's not the nervous lump in my throat feeling it's like a pea is stuck there. It's making me so miserable. I can eat/drink fine. It's just when it comes to swallowing I feel it. The Gp looked down my throat & felt my neck all clear. I've been taking different OTC medication for acid which I keep telling myself it is. But I don't know if it's something there or I'm overthinking & imagining it there? Don't want to go back to the Gp again if it's nothing. I'm hoping it will clear up soon. Any advice?? 

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

Kate, because you are anxious you may be holding a lot of tension in your neck and shoulders. There are loads of muscles in your neck that when they get tight can cause the feeling you describe. You could try youtube (there is one on muscle tightness and globus), yoga, massage etc and see if it helps. It is important to do exercises etc regularly to maintain it.

I hope it helps.

Sheila

• Posted

That’s what I think has been causing my throat problems, tension all around my neck and shoulder area, lack of sleep lately with added on stress, etc. If you look at my last forum iv been having on and off throat troubles everyday for nearly four months! But I will beat this annoying thing. 
    • Posted

I can sleep really well seems to be the only time I can relax. I'm certain it's all anxiety related but can't stop reading into it. Google is a nightmare! Gp is going to think I'm crazy if I go back. Just think I need to be told it's ok though. How miserable it makes you constantly feeling like I'm being strangled sad 

• Posted

hi,

?the more you think about it the longer it stays with you. mine comes and goes but I noticed that the more I worry or very stressed that's how I get it.it is relieved when I eat . I know it would be easier to say to just try to relax and be happy.. take care.

• Posted

Hi Kate 3 weeks I was feeling the same I had exactly the same symptoms I thought I was being strangled my throat was dry and throbbing I felt like I had a huge lump in my throat i had chest X ray bloods and everything came back normal so I thought I was imaging it and going mad I had severe anxiety which I've never experienced before I'd been to my gp 4 times in 4 weeks nd they weren't very helpful but last week a new gp started so I went to see him he was brilliant he gave me a shout course of tablets which have really helped and I've been going for walks which help getting back to feeling myself keep chatting on here the experiences of other people and how they beat it will help hope you feel better soon

• Posted

I wish I had some advice to give. I’ve had lump in the throat sensation for  past 19 months. I’ve been scoped numerous times, but there’s nothing there that they can see. That’s the frustrating part.  I’ve tried so many different things. Different meds, allergy shots,  ENT’s,  GI’s, PCP’s.  I’ve been to one of the best medical centers in the country, but no one has been able to help me. For me, the lump has only gotten worse. Some days  are just too much to bare. I hope you get better, I can certainly relate to what you’re going through. 
    • Posted

Hi, have you tried neck massage and stretching? I believe this is the source of my discomfort. Tight muscles can cause the lump in the throat sensation. Check online for advice, there's plenty of it. However, it's not an instant fix. You need to keep at it to feel the benefits. I wish you well

• Posted

Hi Kate he gave me a short course of 5mg of diazapem which I was reluctant to take but they have helped me so much I work in the medical profession so wasn't sure about taking these but it's only short term hope this helps you

• Posted

Sometimes I feel like I'm choking.  Like you it seems fine at night time the comes back in daytime.  Driving me insane.  On Sheila's advice I am off for a neck and shoulder massage tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. Never had anything like this in my life before. I do try and forget about it, but easier said than done.

i too have been to see Dr many times and he is convinced it isn't anything sinister but he is referring me to ENT for my peace of mind.

so pleased we have this forum. 

• Posted

Hi All. Diazapam is a muscle relaxant that is why it can help with the sensation. You are right to be cautious though; it is not a long term solution and can be addictive but I think it's OK for a short time. The answer is so complicated; in fact there isn't an answer to this! It's holistic I suppose in that in my opinion it is linked to physical and emotional aspects. We are anxious for many different reasons and let's face it life is pretty difficult and we are frail in many ways. So because we are anxious or keeping down sad, angry etc feelings our body tightens up. We get symptoms from this like a sore back, stiff neck, headaches - everyone feels tension in a different part of their body. For us folk it becomes a problem in our neck, scalp, shoulder area and the muscles get tighter and sore and can cause the sensation.

The one thing we can do is to try to be aware of these tense feelings, massage/stretch the muscles, have a massage, visit a chiropractor/physiotherapist, osteopath and most of all look after ourselves emotionally.

These things don't come easy because we 'forget' to keep looking after ourselves - it is the human condition!

To be honest it is annoying but it is not life-threatening or even serious but I don't want to diminish the anxiety it can cause. I just live with it and try my best to keep it at bay.

Feelings of warmth and calming are being sent by me to you!

• Posted

Sheila42058 is right.  I went for a neck and shoulder massage yesterday.  I am fortunate as my friend owns a beauty salon.....I still have to pay, of course, but she knows of my issues of late.  After the massage she talked to me, made me very emotional.  So the massage and the emotions coming out helped tremendously.  The lump went yesterday and gave me some respite.  However, it is back today but not anywhere near as intrusive.  I have booked to go back next week.  

It is so hard for us to give time to ourselves, to give in to emotions, we always feel we have to be tough.  We don't have to be ... being kind to ourselves is an important part of being healthy.

Take time for yourself.  I'm definitely going to! smile

• Posted

Kate. I am experiencing the exact same thing. I suffer from heath anxiety and the more stressed I am it gets worse in my throat recently. I have a doc app today for checkup. It’s always something after another with myself
    • Posted

Me too!  I said to my husband this morning 'I dont feel like me any more'  I never used to have anything wrong with me, now I seem to have something all the time and end up at the Dr more times than I'd like to own up to!

?Wish you well.  They say don't think about it ....... easier said than done.  Let us know how you get on at the doc. x

• Posted

Chele59 been to docs, got acid reflux pills as she said stress and anxiety causes this to happen and I make it worse with over thinking about it, so will see if they help. Also I didn’t want to start on any medication at all, want to try over come my anxiety feelings, but she gave me the smallest dose of anxiety pills so just to take when ever I feel like it. I’m same as you, think I’m at the doctors nearly every few weeks with something, your right it’s hard to tell yourself your ok. I only started feeling like this last August after a few friends/family members passed away with illnesses. 

Hope your doing ok xx

• Posted

What are the pills called Lyndaay?  Hope they work for you.  I am particularly going insane today.  Sometimes I feel I'm going to choke!  My husband has just bought me a new car and a little upset that I'm not getting excited about it..I am truly grateful and excited but obsessed with this blooming thing in my throat.  I may go back and see doc again! cry  I get up in the morning and feel fine and have no trouble sleeping .... just don't understand it at all?

• Posted

Chele, do you feel as if you could throw up aswell? This morning I was boking even when I touched my throat, it’s defo all due to stress I think. I stress a lot about my health. I made doctor have my bloods and smear done, all came back fine. The pills for reflux are called Ranitidine, & the anxiet pills are called propranolol only 10ml. I get the same way too at times, I can’t feel excited about things either x

• Posted

Yes I had my bloods done too and they came back clear.  Thanks for that info.  Let me know if the tablets help.  I have a consultant appt but not until end of April!    I keep getting twitchy pains everywhere but I'm sure I'm bringing them on myself with thinking about it all so much.

I am going to have Reiki tomorrow for the first time.  Hoping that will help relax me.  I'll let you know.

Hope things get better for you with the pills. wink  

• Posted

Chele, I get the pains everywhere too, some days I don’t want to move. I never knew that stress and anxiety could do things like that to your body. It’s a horrible thing to have! Hopefully pills are ok. I hat country are you from? There’s not really a lot for anxiety to talk about in my town but there is a few towns near. Yeah let me know how you get on! Sleep tends to make me feel better also, I have no trouble with that x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.