Overtraining at the Gym

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey all how are you all doing I have been having increased anxiety since I started going to a trainer at the gym. He increased my workload that I was doing before. I have been working out for many years just thought I would try this. The first week I was feeling ok just having sleeping issues but now my anxiety is really bad and hate it. I was wandering if anyone has had experience with overtraining and what it feels like could it increase anxiety? I thought going to the gym was supposed to reduce stress but maybe too much is not good for a person like me. I am taking a week off and hopping this will go back to normal soon. Also have been working extra hours which do not help the situation I suppose.  

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I can realate to that i thought that going to the gym will release adrenaline and make me feel better but no sometimes the increased heart rate makes me scared .
  • Posted

Maybe it the added pressure of the extra hours at work and the extra training at the gym. Anxiety is the product if a overtired and overworked mind and it's our minds way of telling us that something needs to give....that we need to slow down.

The gym is a fabulous idea but if you could perhaps find time to balance that out by doing a little meditation or deep breathing excercises. Just a little time to silence and relax your mind and body will work wonders. Even if you skip the shower after the gym and go home and lay down in the bath with your eyes closed,relaxing.

Distraction is a great way of getting over the bad moments of anxiety but rest is just as important,

Listen to your body and mine. If they are telling you that you are tired,then rest. If they tell you that you need to get up and do something,then get up and do something. I wish you all the best xxx

• Posted

Thanks Jillian so much you always have something great to say and have a way to make things make sense, I am going to learn how to do meditation and deep breathing excerciese great way to relax again thanks.
  • Posted

Ray, I have experience here. I've worked out for over 10 years now.  Anxiety hit me out of the blue, but I was confident I could overcome it quickly since I was already working out.  My advice would be to trust your feelings here. If you having anxiety and don't really feel like working out then don't push yourself but still try to get a light workout in.  When you really start to feel good and get back in your routine then you can start pushing yourself.  I have triggered anxiety by working out and it was usually when I pushed myself too hard while being anxious before starting the workout.  You are definitely not alone in feeling that. 
    • Posted

Hi Mark thanks for replying great advice, have you ever push your self too far and overstrained before, could that cause anxiety? I am talking a week off from the gym at the moment and noticing anxiety coming down, just wandering of you ever over trained at the gym and what it feels like thanks?
    • Posted

Are you asking if I think overtraining could be the cause of anxiety or if overtraining while having anxiety could make it worse? If you are asking if overtraining alone could lead to anxiety I personally don't think it could. It could be lead to additonal stress that may contribute to it. From my anxiety experience and all the research that I have done anxiety is created by negative thought patterns.

If you are asking about training with anxiety. I mainly lift and when I overtrained with anxiety I found it hard to get my breath, when I usually have no problem. Also, it made me feel light headed. I started riding my bike more to help the anxiety. The first few rides felt great, but one time I was feeling particularly down so I went for a ride because I thought it would help, but it just make it worse. I was lightheaded and had a tighness in my chest.

Let me know if that doesn't answer your question. I took some time off too, but after 2 or 3 days I start feeling bad for not lifting so I usually just go with some lighter weights and fewer reps until I start feeling better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.