Overweight?.

Posted , 23 users are following.

I was talking with a friend about how many people on this site are having post op problems with there new TKR . He said that most of those people are probably totally out of shape. And morbidly obese. I don't think this is the case. Tell me he is wrong. 

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

What a load of horse droppings. It's people like him that would not give up his seat on a train, even if you had bot legs in plaster and used a walker. So ignorant oand offensive
  • Posted

I agree that weight can account for some knee problems. I could lose maybe 10lbs but not overwieght. I believe its more heredity. My mother had knee replacements at around age 50 when they first came out. She was not obese. 
  • Posted

Yes, I am overweight. However, I only have problems with one near, two shoulders, and two fingers . . plus one ankle at the moment. while the knee and the ankle could be put down to overuse through overweight, I don't really thing that the same problem in the two shoulders and three fingers could be caused by the same thing. . .As the right knee is absolutely excellent, I have my doubts that the overweight was actually the cause of the left knee having problems.  As for the post op problems being caused by overweight, which is really more what your friend was referring to I think????  then morbid obesity could certainly make the post operative recovery more  difficult.  Let's face it, morbid obesity makes pretty much everything more difficult. 
  • Posted

He is wrong, I have many friends and aquantences who are not heavy or out of shape at all!  I have lost 75 lbs, and I am not considered heavy.  Some of my skinny friends have had more problems then heavy people.  So I do not go there!
  • Posted

I really think it is an insensitive comment for someone to make who probably has been lucky to not have physical things go "wrong."

I also have thin friends with knee and hip problems. Arthritis does not select only those who ate obese.

• Posted

Are, not ate lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.