overweight and umbilical hernia repair

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am 46 and I am overweight I have had an umbilical hernia for over 5 years.  It has been bothering me so much lately.  I literally puch it back in about 10 times per day.  My question is for those that are also overweight how successful/unsuccesful was your surgey.  I have a consult schedule in two weeks.  Just wanted average peoples opinion.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had an umbilical hernia many years ago. The surgeon repaired it and it has never caused a problem. He said I may get another hernia some day but it wouldn't be there. He was right.

• Posted

you got another hernia? where ? and are you also overweight if you dont mind my asking?
    • Posted

No. I never had another hernia. He just said , if I happen to ever get another hernia , it wouldn't be an umbilical hernia. He was right. I've never had any kinda of hernia after that though. I was over weight at the time. Didn't tell me that had anything to do with it though. Just said that area is about the weakest spot in our anatomy. Said that's why it happened. My weight has been all over the place through the years. Don't worry about it. They can fix those pretty good.

• Posted

You're welcome . Don't worry about it. They probably even have better techniques today than when I had mine. At any rate they are common. So good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.