Overweight, Non Diabetic - Hypoglycemia?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I cant seem to find any info relating to this so was hoping someone could help?

I am a 29 year old female, i am overweight (5foot7 and 17 stone 7lbs) For the past few months i have been experiencing hypoglacemic episodes quite frequently (twice a week). Due to me being overweight and having low activity levels I was concerned about type 2 Diabeties do went to mu doctor and had a hba1c test done - my number was 32 so my doctor said that was fine (i didnt mention my funny episodes to him at this time)

once i knew i wasnt diabetic or pre diabetic i was trying to find out what my symptoms were and kept coming acriss things to do with low blood sugar so i bought myself a glucose monitor and test strips so when i did feel funny i could check myself.

i found that when i was feeling horrible my blood sugar was around 3.4 - 3.7 and the rest of the day it hovers around 6-7.

Im only having lows between my breakfast and lunch - this seems to be regardless of what i eat for breakfast but i am becoming so anxious about having a 'hypo' that i an eating more than i need to try and keep my blood sugar up (this is even more problematic when trying to lose wight)

Everything i read online seems to be if you are overweight and dont exercise then your blood sugar would typically be high but i seem to be the opposite and this is making me nervous about what could be the cause?

Has anyone else experienced this? Should i be worried or just buy some dextrose tablets and deal with the hypos when they happen?

Thanks!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amanda, first I think it's great that you've tracked down these numbers!

I'm mildly typ2 diabetic, and recently I've found that I get my lowest readings mid-morning as well - of course I'm mostly happy about it!

Your low numbers aren't horrible so I don't think you need to panic, but it's worth working on, and of course mentioning to your doctors - though don't expect any quick and easy answers when you do.

I would ask - what are you eating for breakfast?

There is such a thing as "reactive hypoglycemia", if you eat certain things it wakes up your insulin system and after processing all the glucose, it keeps right on and lowers your BG levels as well. I've been looking for that to help me!

Generally certain sweet foods including fruits may trigger it, it seems to me.

I've recently found that fig newtons (cookies) seemed to be lowering my BG instead of raising it, and searching "figs blood sugar" sure enough, there is something to it!

If you want to reduce the effect first, if there's something specific like that, you can reduce it and second, eat more protein and less sugar, and less carbs generally, and I think you can control it pretty quickly.

And - about that weight? You've already got the BG meter, and that's great. The next step is learning to count carbs on your meals, that's different from calories. Just limit your carb intake to something reasonable, even 60-75 per meal, hey even 100 per meal, and see if you don't start to lose some weight. It's just learning to avoid the 200 or 300 or 500 (!) carb meals, that upset your metabolism, that seems to help so much with diabetes - and maybe weight.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to respond - what you have said is really helpful! I wasn’t aware of reactive Hypoglycemia but it sounds like it could be something to consider as my breakfast normally consists of some sort of simple carbs and it only really happens after breakfast so that would make sense! From what you have said I think counting/cutting down carbs on my meals will help with not only the weight loss but these hypo symptoms too so I’m definitely going to give it a try and see how I get on!

Thanks so much for the helpful info!

Amanda x

• Posted

Did you get any other tests done like checking thyroid and vitamin/minerals?

I don't think you should be paying so much attention to the readings that will just cause stress which will not help you got the clear result leave it at that.

You really need to switch to a low carb diet look into Keto it really would help you a lot and on that you dont need to be active but it will help if you can just go for simple walks for all round health.

being really overweight puts lot of pressure on the body and the lows between breakfast/lunch is due to what you are eating i expect you are having a big insulin spike.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.