Overwhelmed

Posted , 7 users are following.

I’ve been feeling really depressed for about two weeks. I just took on a new job on top of an already existing part time job. I work with kids who have autism in both positions. It’s super draining on its own and having mood troubles during it all (and tummy troubs, arthritis, anxiety, generally low energy) it’s all adding up and making me feel super disregulated. Like I’m on the verge of tears all the time. One of the kids I work with often resorts to biting, scratching, and hair pulling when he is tantrumming and I have been finding myself actually enjoying the pain... it’s kind of scaring me but I almost hope he bites or scratches me sometimes. Anyways, I’ve just been feeling really bad about myself in general, super irritable,  constantly exhausted, and sad and I don’t know what to do. I’m On Zoloft but it doesn’t seem to be working that well. Any thoughts are welcomed. Thanks y’all. 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kate, sometimes see someone else in pain is too much to bear. It's a tough job by the sounds of it, go explain to your doctor that this is how you feel, see what they feel. All the stress probably is a touch too much to deal with. Maybe your doctor could alter what you take.

• Posted

Kate

Allowing yourself to be attacked and marked by this Autistic child shows up as no respect for yourself. The child needs to be controlled and should show respect not only for you also the position you hold in the environment you are in. No excuses, ifs or buts you need to step down on this attitude. Firm but kind comes to mind

You mention you have this and another type of employment, you have decisions to make I personally feel. Have you had any training when it comes down to Autism.

It would seem your GP has started you on medication, has your GP explained or given you any coping techniques ?

You really need to consider what your needs are and also if you are becoming ill understand the reasons why ?

I have done a great deal of Voluntary Work in Mental Health, remember you own the job, the job does not own you

BOB

• Posted

It’s more complicated than that, I don’t “allow” myself to get “attacked” by this child, his behaviors can get out of control and biting/scratching/hair pulling are unavoidable at times especially when I am responsible for removing the child when he is at risk for hurting other children. Yes, I mentioned that I have experienced thoughts about enjoying the pain at times but that doesn’t mean that I let him hurt me when it is avoidable. If I did, I would get a stern talking to.. I have worked with kids with autism for 2 years, so yes I have training on autism. I do respect myself, I wouldn’t seek support if I didn’t. I’ve had anxiety and depression for years, I have many coping mechanisms. I’m working to find a balance and wrote this in a crisis mode, hoping to find some solidarity at least (which is a coping mechanism). Just a thought for the future, your tone in this comment is not effective. Telling people what you think they should do is something that should be avoided in support group settings and having an annoyed/almost angry affect is hurtful and unhelpful. 
    • Posted

I think Bob misunderstood your post rather than a deliberate attempt to upset you or anyone.  He has been here a long time and is extremely helpful and answers many posters.  

Like all of us he has his own opinions but you need to understand that no one has to reply to others on here,  and the few that do give honest and genuine responses.  Ok you didn't agree with what he said but would it have hurt you to acknowledge his kindness in responding to you?  This is something which all polite members of any support site should do and is good online etiquette. Bob has been on online sites a long time and is aware of this. 

• Posted

When push comes to shove there are medications that can be given, as policy recommends I will not mention the drugs used for disruptive patients, that seem to help.

When it comes down to answering scripts on site, I have worked with various mental health conditions and I still stand by what I explained above.The most important  thing is safety rules in above environments, we are not considering you here although you are important, other children who have mental health issues need to be considered and when dust hits the fan other people who have issues need to be considered.

You may consider I am insensitive, fair enough, Your centre seems to have a problem and you do not need to be scared scarred or hurt. If you disagree, fair enough. I know if I had an autistic child I would be very cautious if I thought My Autistic Child was in any danger

BOB

• Posted

Hi

Sounds to me like your anxiety and depression is linked to too much stress in your life which can lead to both. Your job sounds very stressful! And if you have any other contributing factors to stress I can see why you are feeling the way you do. Do you have a true clinical depression or are you just feeling down and overwhelmed? Sounds like your job is a big contributor. Have you talked to your boss ir any of the children's parents?? You said you have been feeling depressed for about 2 weeks. Is that why you went on the Zoloft? Sometimes antidepressants stop working if you have been on them a long time and you need to switch or up the dose. You didn't say how long you have been on it. I would definitely talk to someone at your place if employment regards the behavior if the children. Seems like a high stress job. Best to you!

• Posted

I started this new position this week and I had been feeling depressed for the past two-ish. I think the stress is exasperating that and my anxiety but it was pre-existing. I have been on Zoloft for about a year. I noticed that it wasn’t working as effectively in May/June. 
  • Posted

Hi

Sometimes they put you on a low dose tranquilizer in conjunction with the antidepressant to help with the anxiety to take when you need it. Ask your doc. smile

• Posted

Hi Kate, I know this sounds odd but have you tried yoga or some sort of relaxation method?
  • Posted

Hello, Katelynde :-) 

I think I do get that with "sometimes hoping he would Scratch me", since I´ve been in a very very similar Position myself. It was a guy from School who pinched me or hit me and I actually liked it. There is Nothing wrong with us. Regarding that. When we´re in pain mentally, physical pain seems to distract us and make us feel good. Sounds weird, but this is also one of the reasons some People cause themselves pain intentionally. It´s okay, but as a whole isn´t healhy. I broke off my relationship with that guy, cos he wouldn´t stop. Maybe you know this, but even if, Maybe it could help to know there are others. 

Talk to your doctors. I´m doing the same. Things could Change for the better. Have you considered or had any therapy?

• Posted

Hi katelynde - sorry to read you are suffering. Not much into writing today so just a note to say thank you for the work you do. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.