Ovestin cream and weight gain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello. I had a prolapse operation last November and was prescribed Ovestin cream to be used for 2 weeks before surgery.This year I was prescribed it again as I wasn't healing as well as I should have done and was having problems resuming my sex life. After a visit to the gynaecologist in August he suggested I use it continuously for 3 months before deciding on whether I need more surgery or not. I am now 2 and a half months into using the cream and have gained half a stone. Is this usual with HRT creams,I knew the tablets could cause this effect but wasn't told the cream could. Anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello Froglet. I have never used Ovestin but I do know it can make you gain weight.....unfortunately. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Matron,think a trip back to the Doctor is needed then to see about either reducing or stopping the cream
  • Posted

It never crossed my mind that the cream may cause weight gain but I too have put on half a stone!

I was prescribed Vagifem and then Ovestin prior to surgery and then at five months post surgery. I have possible granulation and slight bleeding still, now seven months since my operation. 

If this is causing weight gain I'm definitely going to see if I can have something else. ??

• Posted

Did you actually see anyone about the weight gain, Sheila?  I've been on the cream for a couple of weeks now and have put on several pounds already, but wanted to confirm it could be the cream before I see my gp.

• Posted

Hi

I actually saw my consultant on Saturday and mentioned it, she didn't think it caused weight gain! She said many women do gain weight after surgery, due to inactivity but I'm doing a reasonable amount of exercise.

Perhaps I was just looking for a reason, rather than me eating too much! 😳

If you do speak to your GP I'd be interested in what's said.  

• Posted

Thanks, Sheila.  I've not actually had surgery, I've been prescribed it in an effort to prevent recurring UTIs.  Seems odd that so many people put on weight while using it .  Will let you know if I speak to the gp about it, at the moment I'm just thinking I'll stop using it and see what happens!

• Posted

hi all I join here to find answers about using this cream and weight gain. I have not had surgery, and regular exercise but have gain weight. so I'm looking for answers if the cream is to blame.

• Posted

Hi everyone,

I was prescribed Ovestin because of recurring UTIs and have put on at least half a stone!! My bras are all too small and I feel like a barrel!! But...I don't get any more UTIs so I am willing to put up with the extra weight despite not being used to being this heavy. It's strange that weight gain is not included in the list of side effects as it most certainly appears to be one. I have a very healthy diet and walk my dog for at least 30mins a day, so theoretically should not be putting on any weight.

Oh well, my partner likes the large boobies so it's not all bad!!

• Posted

I wouldn't mind but the cream didn't even work for me. It did control the terrible hot flushes but I needed it for atrophy and it never made any difference!

• Posted

Oh you poor thing, it has been miraculous for me but I suppose everyone is different. Hope you find another HRT that suits you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.