Ovestin cream - long term?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Last year I was having numerous urinary infections resulting in numerous antibiotics. I googled urinary infections during menopause and oestrogen cream was mentioned. I suggested this to my female G.P. who prescribed it for me. 

I used it as per instructions - it stopped the UTI’s, stopped the vaginal itching and soreness and just made me feel comfortable and confident. 

As I don’t want to go down the systemic HRT route I thought this was the answer to my menopause problems. 

The instruction leaflet recommend using the cream for 3 months and then having a break and assessment with GP. 

My male GP told me that long term use carries so many risks - and more or less said that uti’s, soreness, thinning and discomfort were natural so just kind of get on with it! 

I was so frightened of his warnings I stopped using the cream. 3 weeks later I felt the familiar discomfort and urinary urgency returning - so reluctantly and nervously used the cream - within 2 days I was back to normal again! 

I am really unsure about using the cream following my doctors’ warnings despite the fact the Ovestin cream makes my undercarriage so much happier! 

I would welcome any advice or alternatives to my dilemma - comfort vs risks?? 

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi don't know if Estriol is the same as your cream . I have found this very helpful and my female doctor told me it's a very low risk . I was using it twice a week and have dropped to one time a week. Fingers crossed thing are ok on my lady bits at min🙄 We need as much help as we can so just follow your own instincts .

• Posted

You firstly have to find a dr that is really interested in helping you. I am in a high risk group but my menopause symptoms were so severe that my gp put me on hrt immediately. It hasnt stopped the menopause like it does with some ladies but together with a high strength vitamin supplement for menopause, my symptoms have been eased alot. I have vallium for my panic attacks and am slowly getting better. Hope this is of use to you. XXX
  • Posted

Hi suzybear61,

Your story is a familiar one. The GP that tells you its natural, normal and just live with it. I too had the same experience with my young female GP. Its part of aging and menapause and eventually your body will get use to the lack of hormones. Not good! In the meantime we can watch our skin change hair fall out our private area become so uncomfortable you can't sit let alone have intimacy anymore, can't sleep, feel depressed, hurt all over and the list goes on and on. Ovestin is estriol and at least you have been prescribed that over premarin cream. estriol is the weakest form of our three estrogens and actually has many protective benefits for women as our estrogen declines. What you describe is normal. When you use the cream your symptoms disappear, when you stop all those bad things come back. Your body needs that estrogen to keep those areas healthy. Your body is making very little of these hormones if any at this point in a woman's life. I have a holistic dr that went from 22 years of doctoring as a GP to the holistic world. Natural, bio identical hormones such as estriol when monitered properly through labs can be very safe to use. Key is getting the right doctor on board with you. I've been on compounded BHRT that includes estriol, estrodial, testosterone and progesterone for over 2 years with no problems. I also use estriol vaginal cream, no problems. I am 57 and plan to stay on them for the rest of my life. With a good doctor monitering and adjusting I believe it is the answer to a healthy happy life as we age. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi jude, you are so right. The key is a good dr who cares about what is happening and gives you what you need but also follows through and keeps an eye on whats going on. I'm really lucky Ive got a dr like that though I know many ladies dont and I consider myself very privilidged to have him in my corner.XXX

• Posted

Thank you all for your helpful and informative advice. I shall have to find a more enlightened doctor. I’m sure if men had to go through the menopause and all the associated emotional and physical issues  they’d be more sympathetic and pro- active! 
  • Posted

Really hope you get sorted . You have all the love and support from this group which has helped me loads. We are strong ladies. Don't think a man would last five minutes with just one of the 100 symptoms 😊.

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. I visited the same male G.P this morning. I told him I had started using Ovestin cream again and my symptoms had gone, but because of his previous warnings I was scared to continue using it so could he prescribe me a non hormonal vaginal moisturiser? 

He then told me that he’d been reading up on Estriol and it’s not as bad as he first thought! In fact it was beneficial to some menopause conditions - particularly osteoporosis! So he was quite happy for me to use it for as long as I get benefit from it!! 

He also prescribed me Replens MD vaginal moisturiser so  the choice is now up to me. 

I feel like I have some kind of control over my menopause now - I take 10mg citalopram for anxiety/mood swings, ladycare magnet for my hot flushes and whichever ladybit moisturiser works best for me! 

I know it’s not ideal to be taking/using artificial support - but whatever makes life easier and happy!!

Once again many thanks for your advice and support xx 

• Posted

I agree with you totally Julie, I dont think there is a man alive who could cope with what we are coping with. They would retreat into their man caves and not come out until it was over but we are expected to just carry on business as usual. How unfair life is at times! XXX
  • Posted

hello. please my advice is to listen to your doctor. my doctor warned me against the use of HRT because of its future adverse effects. i had severe nausea. i have been able to deal with it using ginger. i take freshly grated ginger tea daily. it helped a great deal.
  • Posted

I am using Ovestin cream but like other people as soon as I go down to only using it twice a week the pain and discomfort return because it contains a hormone the long term use worries me as I am 70. Has anyone had any success with non hormonal creams ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.