Ovestin, making things worse

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

have been using Ovestin for 5 nights, the cream - and today am worse with symptoms than before i started using it  - has anyone else had this issue ?

I chose Ovestin with my GP deliberately as it is Estriol rather than Estradiol which i am not keen to use.

Although Antigel does not address the cause of symptons related to vaginal soreness/dryness it has not given me the reaction that Ovestin has. I see a cream called YES VM seems to have good reviews - anyone here tried it ? or anything else that gave them relief from the sore stinging?

thanks

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Clearly you don't get on with ovestin. I am fine with it and it has solved all my vaginal problems but I reacted really badly to vagifem - swelled up so much I couldn't even get a little finger in! We are all different and different things work for us. All water based vaginal moisturisers (yes vm, sulk, woohoo, rebelled) stung me as did anything containing hyaluronic acid (hyalofem, balance activ menopause). I coped with natural oils and oil based lubes for a while but finally had to relent and try ovestin. It really is a case of trial an error. For relief from soreness lot of us on these forums have found that  raw cold pressed virgin organic coconut oil works well, as does vitamin e oil.

• Posted

The forth water based vaginal moisturiser was supposed to say regelle (very pure with no nasty chemicals, but made me swell up too much rather than stung me).
    • Posted

I would stop all things if you have that much irritation. Do not use any soaps, douche or chemicals in that area. Do not go swimming. Also, use very mild laundry detergent and even double rinse your underwear. Use vitamin E oil or coconut oil for aweek until irritation is gone. Then consider using something natural such as FabuVag or Yes. There is a detailed blog I have written about vaginal dryness that you may find helpful 

Best wishes and let me know if you have any questions. 

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Perhaps I should have clarified that all those things I listed that either stung, burnt or made me swell up I stopped them immediately. This was all part of my trial and error of finding something that would help with the vaginal dryness that was not hormone based. I may have been left sensitive to all those things due to havung had vulvodynia in 2013.  I realised that the only thing I could tolerate was natural oils. I gave been using coconut oil and vit e oil and yes oil based lube. Those kept me fine and healthy down there for a few years. Lots if oil based lube made gentle sex discomfort free. However, a few months ago sex began to hurt so I relented and tried ovestin, expecting it to sting, burn or make me swell up. To my surprise and delight I had no bad reactions to it and it had returned my vagina to a younger version of itself (and sex is wonderful).

I was going to say to Judy to stop ovestin if she has had a bad reaction to it. I read many posts on these forums about women's discomfort getting worse when they use oestrogen creams or pessaries  but they persist with them, hoping things will get better. In some cases their doctors have advised them to continue.  I don't agree with that. I think that if it increases your discomfort, stop it immediately then wait a while before trying something else. My doc said, when I tried the ovestin, to try a little on the outer area first and if I reacted badly to it to stop using it and come back to her and we'd try something else. That seems far more sensible to me than persisting with something that causes more discomfort and possibly doing more damage than good. Don't you agree?

• Posted

Also, I have not used any form of soap or wash in that area for 4 years. I wash my vulvar by wiping with coconut oil. I have also not been swimming for 4 years. I dont wear any knickers at home - only baggy jogging bottoms. When I go out I avoid tight trousers or jeans and wear only cotton underwear. I use scent free and kind to skin laundry liquid and conditioner. I use scent free and nasty chemicals free body wash and shampoo and conditioner in the shower (I do not have baths), because stuff can run down onto that sensitive area. I use organic chemical and bleach free tissues to wipe after urination and then apply coconut oil. I use pure organic chemical and bleach free sanitary towels if I get a period. I have done all this for a few years now. I cannot believe some of the chemicals and parfum they put in washes that are supposed to be for the intimate area.
    • Posted

Thanks for your feedback on everything.

Yes we are all different - i am highly allergic to coconut - so would not attempt to use the oil. Don't get good instinct for myself for Vit E oil either.

I had not thought to try on outside first - but have stopped anyway. Have ordered Yes, water based. Actigel works OK - just prefer something more natural and aloe vera i'm good with., so fingers x'ssed!

There is a natural product called Estrolife, which i may resort to but as only avail in US then getting it to UK is v expensive. I have used natural/organic/paraben and chemical free for donkeys years.

• Posted

Ooo. Avoid coconut oil then. As you can see from my list above, there are plenty of water based vaginal moisturers you can try. Have you ever tried products containing hyaluronic acid? It is found naturally in human skin and holds lots of water, acting as a skin condition agent.
  • Posted

Something's else I forgot to mention - towels! I noticed that after he has finished brushing his teeth, my hubby just wipes all the toothpaste around his mouth onto the towel in our shower room. I don't want toothpaste on my privates, thanks! After I've had a shower I either use a different towel or dab dry with the organic chemical and bleach free tissues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.