Ox bile - when did you start taking - what were your symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just looking for guidance if this is what I need to start taking.

Any help is appreciated!!!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Heather,  

I am wondering why you think you might need to take it.  Taking ox bile will add bile to your digestive system.  If you're experiencing diarrhea, then you don't need to take it, not at all, because you already have too much bile in your system.

The gallbladder releases bile into your small intestine during digestion.  If you're having gallbladder problems you can have either too much or not enough bile.  

I would suggest that you try to take a good probiotic first, that can add necessary cultures to your gut bacteria.  If you decide to do that, make sure that the one you buy will survive through your stomach, because most don't. Probiotics might help if you're experiencing constipation.

Have you been diagnosed with gallbladder disease?  If so, what are your symptoms?  

• Posted

I had my gallbladder out a month ago, prior to that I had Gerd. For the first three weeks following surgery, those symptoms disappeared. They have returned. I never had diarrhea following the surgery. My stools did turn pale in color, but about the same time the Gerd returned my stools returned to normal inconsistency and color. I take probiotics everyday and have for years. I get them from my dr office. I contacted surgeon and he wants me to take a PPI, and that does not seem to be helping.

I have seen many people talk about ox bile, and that was the reason for this post I'm just trying to gain some clarity on why they may have used it.

• Posted

Hi Heather,

Thanks for letting me know!  I'm glad that you're taking probiotics! 

So, I think that what may be happening is that the bile in your system is backing up into your stomach during the digestive process.  That can mimic Gerd.  So you have the substances naturally released by your stomach as well as the bile.  That may be why the ppi's aren't working.

Or, the doctor may have prescribed a low dose ppi.  Do you have GERD immediately on waking or does it start to manifest later in the day, say noon?  

• Posted

All day every day. It gets worse as day goes on. Simply awful. Was so hoping it was gone but sadly it has retuned. :*o(
    • Posted

Just started and so afraid that things will get worse no matter what I do. Which is why I posted hoping someone would say, yes or no that ox bile did or didn't help with gerd. I know I have seen people taking it but not sure what their symptoms were. Which was the exact reason for this post.

• Posted

Sometimes they take a day or two to start working How long have you been on them?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.