Oximeter

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi

Have just had diagnosis of emphysema via chest x-ray and am to have lung tests with GP practice nurse in the new year. Am reading as much as possible (this forum and its participants are fab), and am thinking of buying an oximeter.  Do any UK sufferers have an oximeter and, if so, can you recommend a particular model?

Many thanks

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Maureen, I have no experience with one - other than when at the doctors. I am a new copd'r and like you, am reading an incredible amount (some say to much). Can you share the specific symptoms you are having that alerted you to get the diagnosis and how long did you smoke (assuming you did). What was the doctors words when he told you?  Thank you, LT
    • Posted

Hi Larry

I had pain in upper back (round right shoulder and shoulder blade and neck) and was desperately tired,  Had these symptoms since a heavy cold at end of August which seemed to go on and on. Saw GP who sent me for chest xray at local hosp.  'Phoned surgery for my result and receptionist told me that xray showed 'background changes of emphysema' and that duty dr would call.  Well duty dr did not call and after two days I called the surgery to speak to my GP who was very dismissive and told me that I had smoking damage and to make appt with practice nurse for lung tests but I will now have to wait until the new year!

Smoked for 40 years, 20 a day and probs sometimes more.  Accept it's my own fault but don't expect to be treated in such a cavalier fashion.

Apologies for the rant.  

Still have the shoulder/back pain and have made an appt with local therapy clinic to discuss massage or other possible treatments to help ease this pain.  GP says take paracetomol/ibuprofen but didn't offer prescription (live in Scotland so scripts are free).

Anyway, like you reading and reading - probably too much but think it;s important especially since my GP is less than helpful.

Maureen

• Posted

Hi Maureen, I use a pulse oximeter that I bought off Amazon for about £20. I have used it when my nurse or doctor takes a reading and it compares very well with their more expensive ones. It tells you what your oxygen sats are and, at the same time, what your pulse rate is. Hope this helps xx
    • Posted

Hi LInda

Thanks. Can you give me the make and model?  would rather buy a tried and trusted model.

• Posted

Hi Maureen The make is Denshine New Color OLED Fingertip Pulse Oximeter With Audio Alarm & Pulse Sound - Spo2 Monitor Finger Puls Oximeter (Green). I think the model number is RPO 88 but I'm not 1005 sure. The writing on the box is so tiny I find it hard to make out. I went on Amazon to see if they give the model nmber but I couldn't find one. I did however find that they are now £13.98. If you just go on Amazon and put in the make it will take you to this one.

Take care, Linda x

• Posted

Hi Maureen!  Yes, this is a fabulous forum to discuss concerns about your COPD diagnosis.  I live in the US and I purchased an oximeter at a pharmacy.  I do not know how much they are on Amazon; however, I paid about $24.00 for mine.  I use mine quite a bit.  I am on Spiriva and 2.5 ltrs of oxygen ONLY during the night.  I check my blood oxy level near the end of the day and if it is too low, I will use my oxygen while I am relaxing, reading, or watching TV.  I somewhat consider it a "security blanket".  smile

• Posted

Hi Maureen. I'm pretty new myself to copd. Diagnosed with mild copd last spring. One if the best things you can do for yourself and your lungs is exercise and eat nutritionally to beef up your resistance. The most that I learned about lung disease is from Noah Greenspan's webinars on you tube. I started with webinar #3 and it was a HUGE help to calm me down and realize this is a manageable condition. Oh....and of course if you smoke stop now....that is the most important thing you can do to kick this disease in the button smile
    • Posted

Kick this disease in the butt ! ( darn auto-correct)
    • Posted

Maybe a kick in the button too.  Thanks so much for your post - will look at the webinars.  Take care. M
  • Posted

Hi Maureen I have an oxymeter bought from Amazon for £20.  I don't know the make though.  I have tested it at the doctors.  x

• Posted

Another good site is the British Lung Foundation.  x
  • Posted

Amazon - "Biosync" about £20. Very accurate, batteries last for ever, highly recommended
  • Posted

Hi Maureen,

​I use an Oximeter from Amazon (about £20) which came with PC software and a USB lead. I've recently been using this overnight and found that I also have sleep apnoea - no wonder I'm always tired!

​I guess I'm a bit of a nerd really, Oximeter, digital spirometer, digital blood pressure monitoring and in-the-ear thermometer. If this seems a little overboard it happened when I had an exacerbation (chest infection to you and me) a couple of years back. I real hero, I followed they "Oh, I'm okay" style until my wife dragged my remains to the A&E dept on a Sunday morning. The Dr said "Why? Why did you leave it so long? When people come to us like this theres no gaurantee that we can get them back!" That woke me up and now I keep a real close eye on what's going on - not just how I feel but also what the machines say and how that compares to my "normal".

​Accuracy is useful in oxiemeters but, as much as anything I am looking for variations to my normal so even if the machine measures say, 2% out it doesn't really matter; what I want to know is, if my SPo2 level is usually 94% and suddenly it dros to 89% I know something is amiss and time to start watching closely for any other signs.

​As you can guess I swear by my equipment but I also understand that some people will say that I'm OTT. Each to their own and good luck whatever you decide.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.