Oxycodone and frequent urination?

Posted , 7 users are following.

In addition to me being stuck at -12 to straighten and 67 bend at 3 weeks po(very frustrating) . I now have the urge to go to the bathroom evey hour or two. I wonder if this is because I started taking 5mg of oxycodone before PT again and a 5mg of flexeril at bedtime every other night? I had cut back to almost none,until PT got harder. Anyone else have this? I don't have pain or burning.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I was where you are at 3 weeks.  It will come.  Just push that bending every time and let it streeeetch out as you hold it - even though uncomfortable.  You ought to check to be sure you don't have a bladder infection.

• Posted

I had the same experience, but it was attributable to my drinking a lot of fluids to flush the toxins out of my system.  If you're not drinking a lot of fluids, you should consult your physician (then start drinking a lot of fluids!). 

• Posted

Flexeril is a muscle relaxer. Bladder is a muscle. That may be the problem.
  • Posted

I took both OxyContin and then oxycodone for awhile without any additional need to urinate. I'm not sure if the flexeril has this effect or not. I did increase my water intake while on my meds so it would have been logical if I had needed to go more frequently. 

• Posted

Hi - I am nearly at 5 weeks and am -15 in the straight department. I am not sure I will bet more which is a worry. It seems to be so different for us all and my doc said expect what you had prior to surgery as a base recovery line.

Not sure about the frequency issue but I have vague recollections of a nurse telling me I may need to pee more frequently for a while post op but cannot remember the why sorry.

It seems to me you are doing well - It is a slow recovery but I was advised to take it slow and easy to get the best long term result and at nearly 5 weeks post op am able to walk round the house with out crutches now. I went for my first outside walk yesterday - we have had had terrible weather and the sun came out so that felt to very good.

All the best.

• Posted

I use a walker around the house if I feel the need. I can get around without it, but with a nice limp to go with it. I hadn't stood up straight in 3 1/2 years prior to my tkr anyway, because after arthroscopic surgery that took out my medial meniscus I was bone on bone and therapy couldn't get me any straighter after a month so I left them. I now have a new therapist after tkr and she does electrode therapy with heat to loosen then ultrasound therapy then my exercises and her stretching me then ice compression at the end. I also got thinking...I had this sensation of going to the bathroom to urinate after my hysterectomy 2years ago too. So maybe just my body after trauma.

• Posted

Yes our bodies after trauma are an unknown land.....

As to the walking my PT has me trying to stand as straight as possible before taking a steps then heel down and roll the foot through to the toes for each step slowly and keeping as straight as possible. Not to be done if you are in a hurry but the best way to retrain the body back into good supportive walking posture smile Also takes the heat of all the other body parts which is better for future health.

• Posted

It is not frustrating...it is totally normal.  I started at -14 / +84.  Nine weeks of PT 2x/week got me to -1 / +128...now I'm 0 / +131.  The path to full ROM is not a linear one, Grasshopper.  There are advances, setbacks and plateaus.  I got stuck at -4 for almost 2 weeks before my PT and I busted through that bit of scar tissue.  Time, patience and work.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/zero-degrees--517809

"Never give up!  Never surrender!" - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

• Posted

Hi i had the same problem after my tkr my doc said because the mends can make you constipated that you will pee more than usual dont know if info is useful good luck
    • Posted

Thanks Alan. I got past the constipation phase on day 5 thank goodness, and have been fine with that since. If I feel pain,burning or a fever I will call my primary care doctor, as my surgeon is 3 hrs away.
    • Posted

Did a bunch of research on this...  Onycodone (Percocet) and Hydrocodone (Norco, Vicodin) are equally effective opioid-based painkillers.  The difference is that Hydrocodone is synthesized from Codeine giving it cough suppressant properties but also has a constipating side effect.  If you are bothered by the constipation, talk to your doc about switching to Oxycodone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.