Oxycontin taper making me feel 100% better!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've posted on here a few times about the struggles I have had with opiates. A quick re cap is that I have been heavily dependant on opiates for over 10 years. I suffer from a chronic pain disease and have surgical procedures every 6 weeks under general anaesthetic.  This resulting in me taking strong opiates on a constant basis.

I have tried many times to taper and every time has been awful. I get to a couple of days and then end up giving up and taking more again.  

This time last year I was taking around 450mg - 500mg a day at the worst times. Even on this amount I felt as if I needed more! All of this was prescribed by my GP I must add. 

My health has deteriorated significantly in the past 5 years since I have been taking Oxycontin rather than Tramadol. I have started the early menopause, been losing a lot of weight, extremly depressed and anxious, zero sex drive, no motivation to do anything like I used to and things I used to enjoy I have absolutely no desire to do anymore. In the back of my mind I have always thought that it is the Opiates that have been causing the problems, however medical professionals have always thought differently and in a lot of cases prescribed me higher does for the conditions I have been complaining about. Along with a concoction of other medications.

I truly was stuck in a rut with it all and a few weeks ago decided that enough was enough and no matter what I was getting off these demon pills that control my life. I decided to stick with the 10% a month reduction rule, but I felt I needed to do a more drastic taper as I could still feel the 'good' effects of the Oxy on that dose. I wanted to feel normal but never high so I reduced it to 10% a week. I went through every withdrawal you can think of for the first 2 weeks and was craving the Oxy so bad it was all I thought about. I started a diary of every hour of the day just making little points about how I felt. This really helped me to notice a progress in where I was going and how much better I was feeling. I make a point of doing at least 3 things that are good for me every day.

Yoga

Meditation

Exercise

Walking the dog

Reading a book

Watching a funny movie

Playing with my kids

Plus whatever else I felt would boost my mood.

Even when I really didn't feel any motivation and the sweat was dripping off me, I pushed myself to do at least one thing. I also work full time, thankfully from home. So I took a couple of weeks off work to try and get over the worst of it. 

I havent completely stopped and it really is a work in progress, but I can't believe how much better I feel. What I find incredible is that the less I take the less anxiety and depression I have. I'm now taking 80mg a day and continuing to taper at 10-20% taper a week.

If anyone out there is in the same position as I was and really knows they need to taper but can't stand the withdrawal please do it, you'll feel so much better for it. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for this post inkypinky.

I know we've spoken before & I congratulate you on your reduction. You really should be very proud of yourself.

As you know I too was prescribed Oxycontin, and at 1500mgs per day after 9yrs I also wanted my life back.

What the Professionals told you was WRONG as everything you said, I went through & felt exactly what you described!!

I took my last Oxy in August 2016 & am still suffering to this day!! Memory loss, zero testosterone levels so I have to have hormone injections every 3 months.

I tapered to 320mgs per day & that was when the depression kicked In & not wanting to do anything etc.

I had a full blood count test last week & my results which I got today showed a vitamin B12 deficiency which is well know amongst heroin addicts, my thyroid is showing problems & I'm borderline anaemi, plus other things to do with my blood but I cannot remember what my Dr said, (no surprise there then!!!!) So I've gotta have more tests next week but, it is all down to the years of Oxycontin I was prescribed so don't believe a word these so called professionals have told you as they're 100% definitely Wrong!!!

You keep on doing what you're doing as you're doing great on the road to claiming your life back!!

Well done you!!!

Take care

Ritchie xx

• Posted

You might want to try Ashwagandha.  It's an Indian root and it helps with anxiety and pain....and it's totally natural. Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.