Oxygen and lung functionality

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I am a 50 year old male recently diagnosed with COPD. I have a FEV1 reading of 31%.

Going through the reading material on COPD on this site it stresses that Oxygen should only be used in Severe or Very Severe (less that 30% FEV1) stages of COPD.

However, looking through the posts I see people with 70% FEV1 using Oxygen therapy?

Can someone please enlighten me - Thanks. Great site.

3 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi blade65 im stage 3 with lung capacity at 37% i only have oxygen if my sats fall below 88 so far ive been lucky so just relax and take each day has it comes thats my advice to any1 hope that helpsĀ 
    • Posted

Thanks Jackie. Are you measuring your own Sats levels?
    • Posted

no but i get them checked weekly by the nurse and if i need extra help i get intouch with the hospital

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.