Oxygen levels

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am less than a week in from multiple PEs in both lungs. My oxygen levels when I am sitting are around 95 but as soon as I do anything like walking around the house, stairs or treadmill by levels drop to 88. Should I be worried that it's dropping below 90. It comes back up to 95 within a couple of minutes of me sitting. I am not on any oxygen. How long did it take for others to be able to walk for more than five minutes. I want to try to move more but don't want to put too much strain on my lungs and heart. How do you know what is too much??

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Im 7 monts post amd now off of blood thinners and i still get out of breath walking up steps or something. Granted im overweight but it was not this bad before my bilateral pes.
    • Posted

I've read from other posts that the symptoms can last long after treatment.  I would continue to take an aspirin a day to keep your blood thin.  I do.  I think it helped with my pes this month.  Be patient.  Your body has had a major attack.  Hugs!

• Posted

Hi joanne,

I was diagnosed the same thing, mine started in my left calf muscle and multiple clots ended up in both lungs. If I was you I would be going back to see your doctor, this PE is all new to me and I ask my GP questions flat out about it smile.

My GP has told me that it can take ages for the clots to dissolve, anywhere between 6 months to a year maybe longer. I was also told to keep moving about to keep things working and also to prevent further clots, even though we are on blood thinners clots can form again, I don't know what my plan is at the moment, when I was diagnosed with P E the medical doctor in the hospital put me on Xarelto and said I will have to be on them for life, my GP has said to me, let's just wait and see I could probably come off them after 12 months. I had to switch over to Pradaxa due to the Xarelto giving me chest pain or setting off the angina.

• Posted

Hi Joanne. I was diagnosed with multiple bilateral Pulmonary embolism and right ventricular strain August last year. I am on Apixaban for life . I still get breathless when walking up hill. But have improved so much in the last few weeks. As your doctor said wait and see. My body tells me when I have done enough. I have now slowed down on everything I do. I am lucky I am retired. I was on Citalopram for stress before my diagnosis and this has definitely helped. Just remember we are survivors. Good luck . Stay positive. 💐?💜

• Posted

Don't push it! You have had a major attack on your system!!! Go slow! You are going to have to build back up slowly! Follow Drs orders. Take care of you!!!

• Posted

My oxygen levels are only ever 92 or 93 and medical staff are always concerned until I assure them that is normal. Good deep breaths should help and if you can get up to 95 don't worry and you are still in early days so don't try too much. I am 3.5 years down the line and on Apixaban for life and feel lucky i know what it feels like should I have a further recurrence.

• Posted

Your body is telling you to take it easy.  The clots are still in your lungs taking up precious air space.  It will take a couple of months for the clots to dissove.  I was in the hospital May 2 and I'm going through the same thing.  We are still sick and it will be a while before we are well.  Hugs!

• Posted

Thanks to those who have responded. I guess for most of us this is all new and I appreciate the words of wisdom from those who have been through this . I have to remember baby steps and it's nice to know we are not alone. So happy I found this group!!!

• Posted

You aren't kidding! I have gotten more compassion and more wisdom from my peers here who have been through it than the Drs who studied it!!

I'm lucky I have a place to come when I get confused!! Just knowing there are professionals in the background monitoring " just in case" is a great calming effect too.

Thanks! See ya all later

• Posted

thank you so much for this post... I am in the same situation (only I am a little more than a month out from my diagnosis and beginning of treatment... May 2, 2017)

I still get short of breathe with light activity

I am up to 97 sitting but for example walking to my office from my car I drop to 89 (this is about a 50 yard walk)... 

I did go back to the hospital 10 days after my first trip due to oxygen levels dropping to only 88 just sitting... the low oxygen levels caused infarcts in my lungs (I think I have 4 small areas of ifarcation at the edges of my lungs)... 

I am a mouth breather/ snore when I sleep and I think that while sleeping my oxygen levels drop in the high 80's... so currently I sleep with oxygen 

at my 2nd hospital visit they told me that they really don't want my levels below 92 

at this point I obsessively check my oxygen levels (but this has been helpful in giving drs a picture beyond my office visit) and I try to take activity in small bursts so that I am not below 92 for extended periods of time

• Posted

Im surprized you were able to go back to work.  I have been resting and still am tired,  My surgery was May 9 and found out I got a PE in ventricle inor near lung may 18 stayed in hosiptal until may 21 home on Xarelto but still short on breath I go back to cardiologist wed.  Canr well to hear how I am doing .

How do you check your levels?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.