Oxytetracycline scalp acne

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi everyone i just startedoxytetracycline 4 times 250 mg a day for 3months !!!!!!!!!! is this normal for my spotty scalp anyone know

please help help

thanku[b:f5de2ed94d][/b:f5de2ed94d]

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have been described it for 2 week course only.
  • Posted

ive just been prescribed them for a month for my spotty scalp
  • Posted

I have the same scalp problem. Was finally prescribed Oxytetracycline 250mg tabs as treatment. Have been taking it twice a day for the past 8 months. Had to have a quick consultation with my G.P. after 6 months, but have been given another 6 months of tabs. Tabs working really well. Have been told to double dose if condition flairs up above normal.

Hope this helps.

:lol:

• Posted

jba,

did u shave or keep a short hair during the treatment period? i am also taking the treatment now and just wondering hw to look after my hair and scalp during this period. what type of hair cream and shampoo did u use?

• Posted

Hi all,

I had scalp acne for last year, I tried anti dandruff shampoo, showering twice a day, changing my diet, etc. and no dice. Everything I read said the problem could be fungal, bacterial or other so I decided to just try a shampoo that was both antibacterial and antifungal (Ceanel), within a week they spots and lumps on my head cleared up - I'm well pleased and it turned out to be pretty cheap too (£8.20 for a very concentrated bottle), it's available from Amazon in the UK:

I'd recommend trying the smaller bottle first to see if it works

I tried to find it on the Amazon in the states but it doesn't seem to be for sale, I even tried to find a substitute based on the active ingredients but no luck so I suspect they aren't allow in the U.S. or use a different name.

Good luck and I hope it works for you

Bob

• Posted

I am allergic to antibiotics. I rinsed my hair w the original listerine after shampooing w neutragina t-sal shampoo. The acne went away in one month. My hair seems very healthy. It's long, blonde, and highlighted.
  • Posted

Don't use shampoo with sodium laurel. Make sure itis sodium LAURETH. Sodium laurel is super drying and puts your head into super oil production. Cut your salt. Sweating causes scalp acne and is the way body rids itself of sodium. I am allergic to antibiotics so was prescribed clindamyciN lotion. It's helps. Don't pick. Tempting but scalp is full of bacteria. You will just get more acne. Hope this helps. Acne HURTS on scalp!!! I'm not sure about shampoo often or less. Still investigating. :-). Sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.