Pacemaker fitted recently(dec 2017) and feel much much better however

Posted , 5 users are following.

now three months on I have developed a dull ache at the base of my neck just above the clavical.This has now been waking me at night.I also experience pain in this area when i bend forward eg to tie shoe laces etc.has anyone else experienced these symptoms?if so,do you think it is related to the pacemaker?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi John

I have had a pacemaker since 2003 and have not experienced any such pain as you described. I have had some tenderness near the pacemaker but it's not intense . Have you had any of your pace checks and did they show all is working well.? I ask a lot of questions during those checkups . Maybe that would be a good idea for you as they have hprobaly would be able to rule out the pacemaker as the cause.

Good luck.

• Posted

John - husband also had some problems for some months following the fitting of his pacemaker.

Local GP explained one small nerve runs across your chest right where they put the pocket for the pacemaker, and the surgery and opening the pocket irritates that nerve, and nothing they can do about it, with time it did come right.

Husband comments when I ran your query past him, don't lie on that side, he found it only made it worse, with the digging in of the pacemaker frame.

But please don't take my word that this is your problem, get it checked, firstly by your local GP, and then by the pacemaker team when you have that checked on, husband gets his pacemaker checked every six months at the heart hospital.

Best wishes, he too found that he was no longer breathless, the pain in his bicep that he had been reporting for 15 months previous vanished as soon as they turned the pacemaker on.

Junior cardios' had dismissed as related to his heart, suggested it was, rotator cuff injury, strained muscle in arm, arthiritis of shoulder, and even when his heartbeat was at 30bpm, pinched nerve in his neck.

I lost it at point and called the jnior Dr incompetent to his face, he then asked me what medical training I had, NONE i replied, but I know a damned site more than you do.

When consultant was called in following day after heratbeat had dropped to 23BPM, and his blood pressure was becoming more unstable, I downloaded on the consultant, pointed at the junior cardio and gave the consultant the benefit of the last 15months, and the juniors advice and opinion, pointing at the junior, I said he doesn;t know what he is talking about, the consultant actually agreed with me, and put a note on husbands file, watch out for wife, she knows what she is talking about, and printed his name and then signed it, he showed me.

Then consultant called a meeting with husband file, and as he was leaving growling at juniors as he walked up the corridor, and not quiety.

Pacemaker installed 4 hours later.

He later p*ssed 2 kilos in fluid in the 12 hours, post his pacemaker, total of nearly 5 kilos, after they turned his pacemaker on.

Just as an aside, his very slow peeing, cleared up over the next few months, so was it also a lack of blood supply with failing heart.

How do I know so much about my husband condition, I have studied with local GP's help cardio medical books, Dr to Dr papers on the internet, mainly through univeristy sites, and also my father died of heart failure, same as husband has, sister who is a very senior Dr of nursing said to me one time you and I could recognise a heart failure patient at a hundred yards, we lived it our entire lives, this is how I have coped, and saved his life 4 times now by being more knowledgable in this very small field than most Dr's.

• Posted

Hi John,

Your pacemaker will cause discomfort doing certain activities that wasn't a problem before so you have to adjust your lifestyle...For instance, sleeping...sleep on your right side and make sure your head and neck is fully support by a good pillow or pillows. I sleep with two that I can manipulate easily, don't lean over to tie or put in your socks and shoes...instead, sit on a chair, bend bench or sofa and bring your feet up to you to dress. Your heart needs to keep a balance. Bending over can cause blood to rush to the head and get you off balance especially, with the meds you may take for the heart to help your med needs. Also, don't lean to the left while sitting..it causes the pacemaker to press down a nerve or muscle and cause discomfort. Always keep your cell phone (if you use one) on the right side and keep all magnetic devices, equipment at least 6 inches or more from your device. Always advice and show your Pacemaker card before entering any body detector like at the airport, courthouse, or any magnetic body detector. They should always walk you around it....they will need to wand you but never near the pacemaker. I had a guy try to wand my chest at the court after the first two security understood what was happening so I crossed my arms over my chest and he got the msg. Security is trained what to do for pacemaker and pacemaker/defibrillator patients but some forgot to listen so you as a patient will need to remind them ..If ever you get dizzy or your heart races...sit down immediately and call the Cardiologist or after hours the Cardiologist On Call. I feel great too and I'm more physically fit then I have been in years because I go to the gym 4x per week but in reality, I listen to my body. You are listening to your body too or you wouldn't be here. .Good for you.. proud of you.! Oh. Sleeping on your back may be an issue but don't sleep on your left...the pacemaker helps pump that heart wall....it will also increase your heart beat sound in your left ear... so just adjust...

If you are too uncomfortable sleeping on the back, try two pillows slanted and layered but not on top of each other. You will know other adjustments needed as you go along. The worse one for me is a seat belt in the car. If you're still allowed to drive after your 6 month checkup...they have a sheep fur sleeve to put on the seat belt to make it more comfortable since it presses against the pacemaker. I say, "Welcome To Pace/Defib Nation!". Well, that's what I call it anyway. It's better to have a Sense Of Humor than None At All. Last note, You're now Bionic but never over do it...it's easy to do.... questions anytime....God saved me 3x so here to help..I am.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.