Paddy's Day no drink- but Saturday I'm tempted !

Posted , 15 users are following.

So Paddy's day is on Friday. Being Irish everyone has been asking me this week so are you going to the pub on Friday? People who can are planning o spending the whole day in the pub & of course drinking. I actually can't remember the last Paddy's Day I went out drinking. I can resist on this day. It might be to do with the last few years its fallen on a weekday & I am a weekend drinker. I know I won't drink this year either I am planning a family day with my husband & son. 

I do think I will drink this Saturday though. I went all last weekend booze free & I am glad I did it. I am hoping to get my Selincro prescription on Monday & I'm thinking why abstain all weekend again??? The bad part of the plan is that if I do I intend to get a naggin of vodka the small one & drink this without my husband knowing & then have a couple of glasses of wine with him & drink them slowly. I am going backwards I know but usually I would drink a half bottle of vodka mostly in secret. It's just the prospect of another weekend without my treat seems like another battle. 

Is this so wrong if I plan on taking the meds when I eventually get them? Do I need to abstain completley until then? If so why? I will be cutting back a bit & I will not drink Sunday which I normally would too. I know its the drink monster talking but knowing I will get the meds someway or another makes me think then why not?

SadieDee

2 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you managed last weekend then why not aim for another instead of planning a drink

• Posted

If I felt like I could & it would be easy I would. It was hard last weekend but yes I did it. I just want something to look forward to rather than that struggle again. I think it will keep my stress levels down if that makes sense while I wait on a prescription.

• Posted

Also this is the only place I can be truly honest so posting how I'm honestly feeling & doing also helps stress levels. 

• Posted

HI Sadie Dee...i would agree that you try another weekend withouth drinking  smile

• Posted

You can do this if you really want to... Just think of it if you can the same way you did last nite. I am sure your husband will support you too if your honest with him as well, although again i know its hard opening up sometimes. I am the same as you and have convinced myself so many times that its ok or this is the last one. I know that its a big thing with st pats day and all that, i live in northern ireland so get ready to see many many drunk people. Im here if you want to chat over the weekend. Good luck x
    • Posted

Thanks Sharon! For some reason last night I got it into my head I can't d another weekend with nothing I will just have a few .Only buy enough for a few. I actually said to my husband last night I might have a couple of glasses of wine at the weekend - I don't need to abstain as I'll hopefully get the meds. He was ok with it but I think he is getting fed up listening about this. It's in my thoughts most of the time. 

Oh I know I can imagine the amount of people nursing hangovers on Saturday lol xx

• Posted

But don't you need will power still even with medicines?

I'm asking as I'm not sure how they work.

It sounds like a lot of planning for just one night drink?

You may as well put an end now as you did already so you don't have to lie to your partner.

However for me weekend drinkers, sorry to say but I don't see the wrong doing in it.

I wish I could be able to drink just weekends but unfortunately for me every day is a St Patrick's day...

• Posted

I think with the medication you need to take it slowly & think about each drink. If you google The Sinclair Method you will find how it works.

It is planning I usually would always buy a bottle of vodka & have another in the press my husband would think I was drinking from but I would have started with the hidden bottle.

Its the secret drinking that is my huge problem. I think if had of always drank in the open I wouldn't have got to this stage.

• Posted

Yes definitely the secrecy makes it worst .

Why don't you try a healthy talk with your partner. That could be a great relief and perhaps would free you from any mental blockage.

• Posted

Sadie

This sounds a bit hypocritical seeing as I drink, but I've got to say it.

You will most certainly continue to have issues with alcohol  whilst continuing this drinking in secret. You are not giving yourself a chance. You're already planning to deceive your husband.

Before everyone jumps in, certainly a particular person, criticising me for being hard and showing no sympathy, I'm speaking from experience.

This is the problem with alcohol it's devious and makes you secretive and it's controlling you. How will you feel when your husband says he's proud of you. Tells you how well you're doing. If you're anything like me, the guilt alone will make you want more. You're a grown woman, an adult and yes we've all done it, some still do hide drink. Why? Because deep down we know it's wrong. If you want two bottles of vodka, then go ahead have them and be open with your husband. It took me a long time to do that, but my anxiety disappeared, I wasn't constantly lying to my husband and myself.

I am unfollowing this discussion as it will end in personal insults. You're planning a family day with your husband and son. Some family day when you've already decided to deceive them the following day.

I am not sorry if people don't like what I am saying, there is a saying 'being cruel to be kind'

• Posted

It is Eman. I really can't continue do do it. I will try make it through to Monday. My husband has been so supportive but doesn't understand my struggle entirely as he doesn't have a problem himself. It's hard trying to explain it all to him as he can't undertand how my brain is working. It's like me trying to undertand being addicted to gambling or something. I just have to keep trying it's on my shoulders.

• Posted

sadie sweetie, there is a utube video by a forum alcohol nurse named Paul Turner in the UK. look the video up alcohol paulturner and let your family see the short explination he uses to teach the addiction process in the brain. 

This is will really help the whole family understand how hard you work to avoid alcohol craving, trigger and all.

• Posted

I suppose to be honest posting here I am looking for someone to say it's ok have a few drinks just don't go overboard. You will start TSM soon don't be so strict on yourself until then. They are excuses I know but this week is harder than last as I thought I would possibly have my prescription but I don't & I know I don't have my Saturday night ritual to look forward to. I have no urge today to drink, tomorrow or Paddy's Day I just want that chill for Saturday it's strange just a strong strong habit I have. My Dad is very set in his ways - dinner at a certain goes to the same pub every Friday & Saturday etc. I'm not as bad as that but maybe some of that behaviour goes with my drinking- I feel uncomfortable at the thought of change. 

Thank you guys & Sharon thank you so much! 

xxx

• Posted

Hi Sadie

I agree with the others and think you should abstain. I have been a daily drinker (with a rare odd day or two off) and routinely drank a bottle of wine plus up to half a bottle of vodka. I am on my third day of abstinence (without meds) which I know is still early days but I am feeling stronger as each day passes. Like you, I am already thinking about this coming weekend as that is when I would really crank up my intake as I saw it as my 'treat' for working hard all week therefore this was my reward / stress reliever. This is how I have always justified it!!

You have done well so far and should stick with it. Your post sounds as if you have already decided that you're going to drink as you have several reasons in there for why you should, almost as if you are trying to convince yourself or us. I'm sorry if I sound brutal as that is not my intention but I am trying to be honest.

Alcohol is a drug and will try to lure you back any way possible! Even if you limit your intake slightly this weekend, in my opinion, you are just placing yourself at the top of the slide ready to slip back down again.

For me, the benefits of not drinking are already outweighing the 'joy' of drinking! I don't feel groggy / lethargic each day, I'm more mentally sharp and focusing on being a better role model for my son......the list is endless!

Good luck Sadie, I really hope you find the strength to make the right choice and as always, keep talking on here as there are so many good people on here ready to support and advise.

Best wishes

Rachel

• Posted

Hi Rachel,

No I really appreciate your honesty. I am looking to convince myself & almost looking for someone to say it's ok go ahead.

It is like I have decided & this is what happens on the Sunday each week. I say I 'll only drink Saturday & then Sunday as the day goes on it gets me- I've decided & that is it! It's happened now & I don't know how to turn it back around? I suppose that is the strenght of the drug.

Thank you Rachel. Maybe I will try to refocus tomorrow. Try to get back into the zone I was in last week. xxx

• Posted

I suggest you get a good nights sleep tonight and maybe think about planning something different to do at the weekend - a different kind of treat / reward. Hopefully you will feel more positive and focused tomorrow, I know that I definitely find it harder to be strong if I am tired!!

My weak time is 5-7pm ish every day but I am riding through this by keeping busy as soon as I get home and this is getting easier! I am preparing mentally for the weekend, especially Friday as that will be the tester for me! Am thinking that we may go out somewhere as I will drive therefore not drink (am strictly a home drinker), just to get me past my weak time.

Am happy to listen and support if you want....,am rooting for you!

Take care

Rachel xx

• Posted

Yeah I think I kinda hit a bit of a confusing time at the mo. Stuck in a Limbo of the waiting game.

That is pretty much the same time it gets me at the weekend. I found around 6ish last weekend was my worst time even though I never start that early.

Thank you so much & vice versa xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.