PAE

Posted , 12 users are following.

had PAE procedure 1 week ago . ONLY discomfort first few days was constipation and burning sensation when I WENT TO WEE. The last two nights have been horrendous- waking up every 30-45 minutes and really struggling to wee. VERY PAINFULL WHEN trying. Still taking TAMULOSIN. ANY SUGGESTIONS- Im now on second course of antibiotics incase I HAVE INFECTION . HAVENT had a catheter placed

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I had my PAE done in NY Presbyterian earlier this year. The foley catheter inserted for the procedure was removed when I was in the recovery room. I was asked to pee prior to discharged. I managed the minimum of 250 ml the doctor expected before discharge.

When I got home, my prostate was quite inflamed and I could not pee. Fortunately, I was self-catheterizing before the procedure so started CIC again. I could not pee for 2 weeks, not a drop. Then after 2 weeks, the flood gates opened and I was peeing normally.

After the procedure, I did not feel a lot of pain just general discomfort and tingling in the area. However, I felt rather weak and lost about 10 pounds.

Everything is good now.

• Posted

The doc didn't put you on ibuprofin and prednisone? I had both when I had my PAE.

• Posted

tge RADIOLOGIST GAVE IBUPROFEN, PARACETEMOL, CODEINE. I HAD NO PAIN FROM PROCEDURE. I JUST CANT GET THE PEE OUT WITHOUT PUSHING AND STRAINING. NEVER HAD A CATHETER

• Posted

Learn to self cath. That will give you relief before bedtime and you won't be getting up a bunch of times. It will also relieve you when you're having trouble peeing. Hang in there and keep us updated.

• Posted

how difficult is it to place a catheter?

• Posted

Not bad at all. Finding the right size, etc., can be a little tricky. Others here can advise you better. I started small and worked up to size 12. The thinner is too whippy and hard to get in. Once you get used to it it's very easy and not hard. You have to clean the end of your penis really well, of course.

• Posted

Hi Henry- I also had issues with my PAE for the first week. I had blockage due to sloughing off of dead tissue due to the procedure. My urine was bloody and had pieces of tissue. I got a foley and it was left for a week. When the foley was put in it filled to 1200 ml - my bladder usually holds 450 ml. Then things got better. I was taking TAMULOSIN for the week and then stopped- now i wake 1 to 2 times a night

BTW my PSA went from 30 before PAE to 450 after. I just have BPH no cancer (have had 5 biopses over past 20 years. My prostate was 191 gm before the procedure- not sure what it is now, but my symptoms are much much better with no drugs.

take care and good luck

Steve

• Posted

Henry,

Suggestions: increase tamsulosin to 2 per 24hrs, and take Tylenol. Ibuprofen can cause tissue swelling and that's the last thing you need now. You are taking antibiotics "in case" you have an infection? Did you get tested positive for an infection? If not, you should not be taking antibiotics. Do not take Cipro - very dangerous. You are likely experiencing prostate swelling - typical symptoms, as it is irritated from the PAE. Everyone goes through the same thing. Lasts about two weeks.

Tom

• Posted

Henry,

Self catheterization would help you. You can either learn how to do it from a Urologists office or watch videos on-line. The red rubber/latex type, with external lubrication, are the least likely to cause abrasion. The first few times you do it you may get a UTI, and need antibiotics, especially if you have bleeding, But that all goes away after a few days of doing it. You can ask a Urologist to order them, or get a prescription and order them on-line. Most supply companies require a prescription,however one person on this web site said he told them he had a prescription, but never sent it, and got the catheters anyway.

Hope this helps,

Thomas

• Posted

Health products for you website does not ask for a prescription.

• Posted

Henry,

I should have said the catheter supply companies want a prescription to get insurance or Medicare to pay for them. I believe you can always pay for them your self, and be able to get them without prescription. You may only need one month's supply to get through your recovery.

Thomas

• Posted

Everyone has a bit of a different experience, I expect there are many factors, likely including how long you've had prostate issues, and treatments to date.

I had my PAE 31 days ago. I took my last Tamsulosin 11 days after the procedure. I've been great since then, only getting even better. I sleep clear thru some nights, and get up once in others.

I'm 55 and my prostate was about 65 cc, and has been bothering me more and more over the past few years but I've only had a cath after an injury prior to my PAE. They did place a foley, so they could drain the contrast agent as it reached my bladder. They removed the foley in recovery and let me go home with proving that I could urinate on my own. The first couple days were less than enjoyable but now I'm feeling better than I have in 2 or 3 years.

Does anyone else here have helix concerto coils?

-Dale

• Posted

Hi, Dale,

The term "concerto" is unfamiliar to me in the context it is used here. However, the terms "helix" and "coils" are fundamental to a power generation technology I'm involved with and this creates horrible ambiguity! We need to adjust data filters so that our respective systems can tell which is which.

Hopefully we've caught the problem in time to avoid loss of data.

So, what is a "helix concerto coil" as applied in urology?

I look forward to you reply at you earliest possible convenience!

Warm regards, alan86734.

• Posted

A "helix concerto coil" is an implantable medical device used for targeted vascular embolization, you can google it and see an animation of how it works. Used by an IR, not a Uroligist. Solutions to BPH are moving beyond just what your Urologist can do. My right prostrate artery was done with the 300-500 size embospheres, but on the left, they used a mix of coils and 100 um embozene.

• Posted

Hi, Dale,

Thank you very much for your support, greatly appreciated! I'll probably never have to use this technology. I'm 90 years old and ,apart from my urine retention, caused accidentally, I'm in reasonable shape so will probably succumb to natural causes when my time is up.

Warm regards, alan86734.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.