PAE an FLA results

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am in the final stages of deciding on which procedure to go with. I have spoken with Drs. K and B and feel both procedures have their good and bad points. I meet with my Urologist to discuss Urolift next week and hopefully get him to agree to order a prostate MRI for me. I also spoke at length with our FLA pioneer, John, and was thankful for his explanation and understanding of my concerns. I will definitely speak with him again before my final decision.

I have read there are some PAE failures, or at least results that are less then were hoped for. Conversely, I have not heard os any failures or subpar results, given that it is much newer than PAE.

I request that is you have had eithet procedure that you name the procedure and the results, be it 100 percent successful down to totally unsuccessful. Also please indicate if you would do the same procedure again given what you know now.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Also please private message me if you desire.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Suposably Urolift is good for 10 years with some minor problems .I heard they sometimes need adjusted

A lot of people swear by Urolift,

But you know you will have to do it again in future.

My insurance just will only pay for Urolift, but mine was not completely finish because to painful. Make sure you are medicated if you go that route.

I've been pretty tired of 15 years of BPH. I think I would go for HOLEP, only you have retro ejaculation but redo rate is 1 or2 percent.

See what redo rate is and good luck.

• Posted

I had both, PAE did not help me at all, but I know it does work for some people. Having said that I think it's crazy to fork out over 10k or whatever on a procedure that is like hit or miss. Why be one of the unlucky 20% (or whatever the stats are)

FLA worked for me, not as well as for John and the others, but at least I am confident that it is the best try if you want no sexual side effects. The reason it may not have worked for me as well as John could be bladder issues, or some other reason we don't know about. Still if you asked me what I prefer, this and no side effects or Green Light, better stream/no meds BUT side effects, I'll take this any day.

• Posted

PAE 100% unsucessful.
    • Posted

I followed all your posts when you had it done. It started out to be very promising but must have taken a quick turn for the worse. So sorry you had to go through the trouble and expense to travel all the way up hear just to have the procedure fail.Are you considering trying something else like FLA or Urolift. I remember that your wife is an MD, what does she recommend as another step?

Thanks, Rick

• Posted

Rick;

You have a good memory.   After 30 days the PAE's benefits quickly disappeared. I think the temporary improvement was merely from all the meds and steroids I got during the procedure.  As my problems returned I called Dr. Bagla a couple of times but he had no suggestions and wasnt very interested.

I went back to my uro here and started taking Flomax again. I didn't have any side effects and am still on it.  My symptoms have reduced a bit to where I can pretty much live with them.  A year ago I was getting up 7-8 times a night and peeing  couple of times when I walked my dog.  

At this point I can drive to the airport or take the dogs out for a couple of hours without having to plan bathroom stops.  At night I'm getting up 2-3 times.  Its not like being a teenager but I'm not motivated to sign up for one of the more invasive procedures.

Recently My wifes gave me Rivotril.  It put me in a much deeper sleep and relaxed my bladder.  It was very helpful until some nasty side effcts kicked in and I had to stop.  Now I take ambien at bedtime and once during the night.  

I'm getting a sonagram next week then I'll see my uro.  He's been recommending water ablation but I'm not ready for another procedure yet.

I'm reading all the favorable reports on Dr. K and his FLA, if my symptoms get really bad again, thats what I'll evaluate first.

I'm hoping that I can hold out until there are new and better meds and treatments.

One other thing,  I believe that there's a connection between constipation and diarhea and bladder/prostate problems.  So, I'm trying to manage my bowels to flow calmly and smoothly and not put any pressure on my abdomen/bladder.

• Posted

I'm in same boat. Had a failed Urolift and wonder if I should just live with it. 2 or 3 a night, I walk 2.5 miles a day Forrest so I can stop 4 or 6 times and rest of the day do pretty well. Never had to self cic so Im thinking like you on that one

I wanted HOLEP but Cigna won't pay so if I wait 3 years I'll be 65 and Medicare will kick in.

It's so frustrating

• Posted

Rick (wish this forum had an edit capabiilty).   

I wanted to mention that I am still on 5mg p.d. of rivotril that my wife prescribed.  I've never seen it mentioned here.

I couldn't tolerate the 10mg that we started with but the 5mg seems to be helping me alot along with Flomax and ambien.

I have a sensation that my bladder is relaxed.  My sleep is much deeper.  I have no other changes, not groggy or headaches or anything.

Last night I got up once. 

• Posted

CIC might well allow you to sleep through the night.  I have been CIC-ing since my Urolift failed a year+ ago.  CIC right before bedtime, and I sleep through the night 2/3 of the time.  Can you imagine falling asleep and then  waking up only because it's morning???  :-)

Just a suggestion.

• Posted

Paul, as you may have noted, I am a fan of CIC.  Sleeping right through the night, 2/3 of the time.  And the other times that I do get up (only once), are usually caused by a late-evening glass of wine...
    • Posted

Hi cartoon,

Do you take any sleep aids ? Are you still taking Valarian ? I do CIC before bed but always get up aound 3-4am to CIC again, just to be sure bladder is not too full. Hank

• Posted

Hmmm.  And when you DO CIC at 3:00 am, how much do you drain out?  If it's less than 300cc, I would think it could wait until morning!  UNINTERRUPTED SLEEP IS GOOD STUFF! confused  

I almost never take sleep aids these days; I quit coffee and switched to black (caffeinated) tea back in January, and sleep comes easy now.  Who knew?!?!  I keep Valerian around, but use it maybe once a month.  SOme folks take Calms-Forté or melatonin, and have good results with them...

• Posted

By 3am, my total volume (normal + cath) is usu around 500cc already. Tried to cut it down by reducing liquid intake but the result was constipation which made everything worse. If you produce only 300cc overnight, you either not drinking enough or picking on Jimjames habit of eating a bag of potatoes chip before bed. smile Either way, it is good for you. Hank

• Posted

Let's get one thing straight: eating a bag o' potato chips before bed AIN'T one of my habits, regardless of what JimJames might be doing!!! cheesygrin  

If you're draining 500cc during the "wee" hours, well, then it's worth it.  Old bodies function differently fromyoung ones, and occassionally mine does what yours does---usually after consuming a glass of wine later in the evening, as mentioned.  

For me, a full night of sleeping is worth more than anything !  So drinking little after 8:00 pm is worth it.  And my body USUALLY cooperates by processing enough liquids that my bladder can handle holding the rest overnight.  

• Posted

You are blessed with a cooperating body. Mine is not, and I am trying to train it. Yeah, if it is only 300cc or even 400cc, I might try to ignore it. But I am still working on it. Before self cathing, I did not even know how much it was, and I am sure it was much worse. At the beginning off self cathing, it was near the 1000cc. Hank
    • Posted

We have been blessed with JimJames' Fabulous Forty Weeks To Recovery Program.  (I made that title up!)  But yes, I'm one of those who started with a truly stretched-out bladder: when my system shut down in Aug 2014, the uro guys drained 2.5 LITERS outta me!  When I began self-cathing shortly after that, I had NO signals from inside, telling me I needed to empty.  And my bladder could hold any amount.  Gradually it reduced to the current numbers.  In the past half-year I've had a couple of lapses (usually due to traveling or being without a catheter) when I drained off 650-750, but otherwise it stays within the 200 to 500 range...

• Posted

Do you know how much liquid you consume per day ? I guess you now have urges to empty. Hank

• Posted

Yes, the signals have come back!  I could tell you how much I drink per day, but at the moment, things are way too hectic!  I'll try to get back with average numbers...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.