PAE and Better Sex

Posted , 7 users are following.

After reading through much of the PAE threads I noticed that a number of people who have had the procedure reported a much better sex life. I was wondering if this was because they were able to stop taking drugs like Tamsulosin (Flomax) or if it was because it was a secondary side effect of the prostate shrinking. Hopefully those who had PAE can expand on this, and also tell us specifically how their sexual performance was enhanced and if things changed right away or gradually over time.

Jim

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had my PAE April 1st 2015. Prior to PAE I had taken Avodart, Flomax, Finesteride and Hytrin for a number of years. The Avodart and Finesteride both dried up my semen (retrograde), decreased my Libido and caused mild ED. I quit taking all the BPH drugs after PAE and my sexual pleasure increased over time. Semen returned, libido increased. I do still take Cealis to help. I believe the improvement is mainly related to the fact that I do not take the BPH drugs anymore. 
    • Posted

David,

i had mine done as part of a clinical trial at UNC Chapel Hill NC. Thus it was all free. I have heard that they charge $6500 if done outside of the trial, but I cannot confirm that for sure.

• Posted

Jim, I had my PAE done a year ago. Pretty much straight away I noticed a fuller flaccid penis and better erections. I also noticed increased penile sensitivity and better orgasms. I'm a type 2 diabetic and over time had noticed markedly decreased penile sensitivity. The PAE seemed to reverse that...not to original sensitivity levels but much improved. 
  • Posted

If you think about it, when you suffer from BPH you need to Urinate frequently, there may be some anxiety and feelings of embarrasment - therefore it follows that if symptoms of BPH are mostly gone the mental side has got to improve.

As far as a physical reason apart from stopping all the bad drugs, I very much doubt it. Someone suggested that some blood that is blocked to the prostate will now go to Penis, I find that "hard" to believe...lol

• Posted

I don't think it's a psychological problem due to urinating a lot...in my case it was most likely the diabetes

In the few days after my PAE I noticed my penis was much fuller than normal. Why does a penis get fuller? It's because it's got more blood in it. 

I discussed this this with my interventional radiologist and he said it stands to reason that if the prostate is getting less blood than normal (it's been embolised) that blood has to go somewhere. The penis is very close so why not there? 

Nobody knows yet but it is as good an explanation as any. It only happens for about 30% of patients. 

• Posted

Jim,   I think that was a great question!   I have been considering a PAE, and now I do believe that when it is monetarily feasible I will seek it out.

I had the Urolift done July 2015 and now my doc has me on 2 Tamsulosin a day and self catching,   My sex drive is definatly down, and my erections are pretty much just in the mornings.  I am 57 and have always had a very good stamina with sex as well as very satisfactory frequency.   So I think the Tamsulosin is taking a toll on all of that.   Thanks for the great question!

• Posted

I am also following PAE as well as a few other new procedures. Certainly, if one of them had a sexual boost, that would make it even more attractive.

So, I can understand why a doc puts people on Tamsulosin as part of a watch and wait strategy. And I can see why people self-cath as either part of a watch and wait strategy or for even longer term.

But it doesn't make much sense to me to do both. Since self cathing allows you to completely empty your bladder any time you want it, what's the point of the Tamsulosin? So, maybe you might have to cath one or two more times a day to compensate, but wouldn't that be worth dropping Tamsulosin and all its negattive side effects?

I have heard this situation once before  here, but I never got a convincing reason why, other than "that's what my doctor said". For me, by itself, that's not a good reason.

Jim

• Posted

Morning Jim,

I have just had PAE in London so this is of interest.

I had a laser turp 11 years ago and regrowth occurred.

PAE was selected because I didn't want to risk side effects from the Turp second time around.

The idea of improvement in Sexual function is obviously appealing.

I wondered about blood supply diversion, but also the possibility of deflection of blood supply vessels.

• If you have a gland that should be the size of a walnut, then it seems logical that something the size of an orange is going to lean on something.

All of the blood vessels can be seen during PAE. I just presume that no-one has thought of looking to see if any of them are getting pinched or pressed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.