PAE and CIC

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone who does CIC ( self-catherization) been helped by a PAE procedure? Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Hi Howard. I would not consider PAE because it is very inconsistent. It works for some people but not for others. And even when it does work, its improvements are minimal. I read from a study that the everage improvement for PVR is about 50 ml. In that case, for CIC folks like us, we would still have to CIC even if we had a successful PAE procedure. Hank

• Posted

Hi Hank - I had a PAE about 5 years ago at UNC. It did nothing for me but lighten my bank account by a lot of money. A few months after the PAE I had a prostate MRI to see why it did not work. It was very interesting - the necrosis was like a buck shot pattern in the outer prostate but the region close to the urethra where all the constriction is concentrated was not affected.

PAE is now offered locally and covered by insurance so I was thinking of talking with the doctor to see if the technology has evolved at all for people like me with very large prostates.

But even Holep sees the prostate grow back over time which is why I was considering the robotic SP to have it removed altogether. But the anesthesia is 5 hours which really worries me regarding kidney damage.

The Gentlecaths worked really nice so I ordered a few boxes. My bleeding has stopped now but I go really slow - even less than a mm at a time. It was a bad experience and makes me think again about doing something other than CIC. Thanks again. Howard

• Posted

Howard, it's good to hear Gentlecaths are doing well for you. Now I use them most of the time. They are definitely better than Cure Ultra. Re HoLEP, I've read from some studies that it lasts a long time. Redo rate after 20 years is only few percent. I'd be happy to have it done again in 20 years. Hank

• Posted

Hank - do you know anyone who had been on CIC for many years like us that was able to get off catheters after Holep? ( or any other procedure). My urologist told me that after all the years on CIC my bladder function has likely been weakened so I may still need to do catheters even after my prostate is removed. Howard

• Edited

... still need to do catheters even after my prostate is remove ...

Howard, This might be true for most people who do CIC because they do not have natural voice. You and I, however, still have natural void and I think, because of that, we should be able to resume natural voiding. How much more improvement I don't know. I am willing to take a chance with it. Hank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.