PAE August 8th

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All.

I am 53 years old and have been suffering with BPH for about 7-10 years. I had an unsuccessful FLA (Focal Laser Ablation) in April of 2017. I had no side effects from the procedure but it did not help at all.

My prostate is relatively small at 40-45 grams but have been told its "hard." I go anywhere between 10-15 times per day with the help of Flomax. The Flomax is waning in its efficacy. My last PSA was 1.3.

Dr Jeremy Kim of Atrium Health/intravascular radiology - Concord, NC performed my procedure.

I was due to have my procedure and 8am but was delayed until about 10:20 as Dr. Kim had an emergency that he needed to tend to. He was the only Dr that could perform the emergency procedure (which I believe was a stroke victim) and this made me feel a little better about choosing him.

I was under VERY LIGHT Versed/Fentanyl sedation and could feel EVERYTHING. Nothing real unpleasant but I did feel a little pain/irritation at times. My procedure lasted an hour. He told me it would take two hours before he started but was able to find the correct arteries quickly. Recovery was quick and I was out at around 2:00pm The rest of the day was ok. I had terrible musculoskeletal pain from the CIPRO. I had forgotten I had this terrible side effect until it was too late as I had taken one as soon as I got to the hospital.

Days 2-6 were a little annoying. A lot of frequency and burning during urination. I also had a little burning when I was not going. The testimonials are a little misleading. Its not a walk in the park for the first four or five days. This slowly got better after a week and I am now 12 days post procedure and am peeing like I did before the procedure. Today, I noticed a SLIGHT increase in flow. I have zero side effects from the procedure and am very happy I went through with it (even if its not a complete success.)

Dr. Kim says the full benefit may not happen for two or three months so I will be patient.

I cannot recommend Dr. Kim and his staff enough. They were all very kind and patient and I feel Dr. Kim has a wealth of knowledge about this subject . Google him for his PAE presentation to other Dr's and urologists.

I will update again in about four weeks.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Did you have a median lobe? I found out (new doc), 2 yrs after my UroLift, I have a large median lobe, which is why I haven't seen any improvements from the procedure. Urolift is intact and doing its job. The lobe is my issue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.